• Register Today It's free!

Stock moonroof installed.

AMMO_HOOAH

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ex V8, AWD XLT
I just put a moonroof out of the junk yard in my X. I've seen a few people ask about it from time to time, so if anyone is interested I'll let you know what it entailed if not.... well I've got an overhead console and center dome light for sale.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am very interested. That's one of the biggest things I miss about my 4 dr explorer is the sun roof....even though it's getting to be that time of year where paid air is the only way to go...at least in Arizona...

I just put a moonroof out of the junk yard in my X. I've seen a few people ask about it from time to time, so if anyone is interested I'll let you know what it entailed if not.... well I've got an overhead console and center dome light for sale.

Put up a thread, i'm sure a ton of people would like to do this. I am thinking of putting a moon roof on my ex.

Well it was fairly easy.... for the most part. If you do decide to do it you'll need more than just the moonroof itself. You need an overhead console and the bracket that goes with it, the inside trim piece, the four drain tubes (kind of a pain to get out), along with the mounting bracket that is pinch welded to the donors roof (major pain to get out).

Once you have all of the pieces you'll have to start your disassembly by taking out the roof liner.

The most forward roof brace has to be removed because the mounting bracket goes in its place which is also pinch welded in, but this was easy to get out by drilling out the welds.

The roof is folded down into the mounting bracket to secure it. I'm not much of a body man so my fold didn't turn out as pretty as it could have, so be aware that if you aren't very good with sheet metal work this is kinda hard. Also the mounting bracket is larger in the corners than the glass is. If I had realized that to begin with I would have made a template off of the glass to match the roof to. You could weld the bracket to the folded roof like it was from the factory or you could rivet it in, but I had left enough excess that I was able to continue the fold under the bracket to kind of sandwich it in between. Also the bracket has grooves for a sealer so I used window cement to both seal it and glue it to the roof. A word of caution the window cement is really messy. I got a little here and it migrated everywhere else, so be careful. If you have latex gloves I'd highly recommend using them. If not I found out that spray glue gets it off of your hands rather nicely just let both dry and rub it off.

Once you get the sheet metal where you want it (which is the hard part) the only thing left is the wiring and routing the drain tubes. There are three grounds that I bundled together and bolted to the mounding bracket for the over head console. Two of the grounds are attached to the toggle switch one at either position, the third goes to the moon roofs motor. The ground for the motor and the power for it all go into the wiring harness, so once you put your grounds together you'll have to run a 12v lead from that hot to the backside of the accessory delay relay under the dash. I used 12 gauge wire for it all just to make sure the wiring wasn't restricting it. The accessory delay relay is in a relay cluster above the gas peddle (on my '96 anyway) behind the dash. You'll want to double check your wiring but on mine there is a light blue wire, with a black line that is on the backside of the relay. You could wire it to any 12v you want either always on, keyed on, or what ever you like. I wired it like this because it's how it would have been from the factory. It's what lets you operate the windows keyed on, but you can still operate them until you open a door with the key off. I couldn't quite figure out how the tubes where originally run down inside the a-pillars, so i just ran them under where the from a-pillar trim goes, behind the dash and the kicker trim, and through grommets in the floor. The rear ones run inside the c-pillars down through a grommet under the door trim.

Once all that is done you can put the roof liner back in place. There are two of the plastic push retainers that are above the rear seats that no longer reach their holes (the moonroof brings down the head liner like an inch in the middle), so I just glued them in to cover the holes. With the moonroof open, and a very sharp (I made the mistake of using an older one and tore my liner in a couple spots) razor knife you can cut the head liner. I pushed the headliner up against the opening and cut from the outside in. Be warned that the corners of the trim piece don't go tight to the corners of the bracket so don't cut them flush in the corners just along the sides. Once you get the headliner cut where you want it use a spatula or some other wide flat tool to kind of shoehorn the headliner into the trim piece and onto the mounting bracket.

I'll take a few pics tomorrow, but only if you guys promise not to haggle me too much about my folds lol.

I'd definitely like to see some pictures of this as it's one of the 2 things I wish...3 things...4 things I wish different about my explorer. Other 3 being keypad for keyless entry, v8, manual tranny.

I had it all from my 99, but the roof trim piece got scrapped a while ago. Do post some pictures, I wonder how hard the welding would be.

Here's the pix for you guys. As for the welding honestly I would even bother it worked out great just sandwiching in the bracket if I hadn't have done that I would have just riveted it in, in place of the pinch welds.
0413081559a.jpg

0413081559.jpg

ive been thking of doing this also . to replace my manual operated roof. seems the leak every one gets with them is coming from the glass not getting pulled done tight enough an no real adjustment. an having no place to store the sun blocking panel is a pain .hi ho hi ho its off to the bone yard i go :)

Nice work!
Couldnt one just cut the entire needed section of roof off the donor from the yard, bring it home and then work on it?

Did you pull the parts at a yard? How did you deal with the welds? Chissel?

Good Work! Looks original. Check for any leaks yet?

I would have just cut the whole roof section out and welded it back in, but the yard I got it from doesn't allow cutting tools in, and ya I just used a screw driver to get by the pinch welds. I've kinda checked for leaks and I've filled the gap in a bit just to make sure.

looks good keep up the good work

Back