Stock Ride Height | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock Ride Height

2Many, every truck is different. I've measured a few 97 Ford Explorer stock back a few years ago and they were all different heights by the slightest amount of 1/4" or less. There is no way for every Explorer to have the same height due to things like different torsion bars, wheel sizes, tire brands, etc. Go to your local dealership and measure the riding height of every vehicle. They will not be the same. Its just manufacturing that causes it.

I'm not a Ford certified mechanic but I did stay in at a Holiday Inn Express

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your question was answered in post #3 of this thread. There was no measurement that Ford aimed for when they came from the factory. You will find SLA Explorers with the adjustment bolts turned all the way out stock, and those turned all the way in stock. Some have one adjustment max on one side, and min on the other. THERE IS NO STOCK HEIGHT MEASUREMENT FROM THE FACTORY!! All Explorers will vary.

thanks for the straight replies Blee1099 & Robb. the reason i am asking is because my understanding is that 0 degree camber alignment is not achieveable beyond 1-1/2" lowering. unfortunately i did not take measurements before doing the tt and 1-1/2" rear block install (my bad). after getting some quotes for an alignment ($$$), i wanted to confirm that i am in the 1-1/2" range before hand (it now measures 31" to the front fenderwells).

robb gave you a straight answer on post #3, but you didnt believe him tehn, but when he types the same damn thing out longer with more words its a straight answer??????? i dont get it :crazy:

:confused: It took pissing a lot of people off and a lot of words for him to belive post #3 in this thread. He posted the first 2 himself. :rolleyes:

so far i've got a 1/4" variation, but still no absolute measurements to go by.

if it takes getting some peoples panties in a bunch to get an answer, so be it.

wow and it's PMS when i act like that??????????......................not to worry 2many, it's a Joisey thing and all these landfills we got!!!!!!!!!
A good front end shop, should be able to dial it in, if they can't, adjust accordingly.
Sandy

I'll play. Ford likely never did check the height coming off the line. After all, factory installed 16" inch rims vs 15" would make a difference.

However, I believe there is a Ford spec for the angle of the lower control arm. Differnences in torsion bars may have required Ford to set the screw to different depths for each vehicle. However, I believe all lower control arm angles on 2nd gen Explorers were set within a specified range. I'll go back and check my stuff to see what I can dig up. Obviouly once the lower control arm angle is set, things like variation in the body mount thickness, rim size, tire pressure, etc. would change the height to the frame rail or some point on the body.

Ford installed two tire diameters, the 15" tires are about 29" tall, and the 16" tires are about 30" tall. There were a few slightly different tires used, so the tire variance alone would make at least 1/2" height variance.

My 98 Mountaineer I believe is typical of all of these 2nd gen. SUV's. It had a difference of almost one inch from the front fenders to the ground. The fender which was higher had a shorter distance from the ground up to the frame, at the control arm bushing, than the other side.

When I went for my first lowering alignment, I had set the frame to ground dimensions the same. My left adjusting bolt was backed out only a few turns lower than stock, while my right adjusting screw was almost out. My right adjustment would not give the same adjustment as the left side.

When I wore out my first set of tires after 30,000 miles, I reset the heights again. Using a 30.5" tire, new "B" bars, a flipped right adjustment lever, I ended up with a more level front end. The fenders are still not at equal heights, but they and the frame heights are closer than they were to level.

Your goal should be to find a height which won't wear out CV joints quickly, if you have 4WD, and look and ride good. Measure the frame heights, the fender heights, and play with the adjusters until you are satisfied.

Search and read what others have done, listen to what they say about ride quality at certain heights. Adjust your heights to achieve your best compromise between ride and appearance.

Shock absorbers are very critical to ride quality, and going beyond about an inch of lowering in the back will cause bottoming out with loads. I have 1.375" blocks in the rear of my 98, and I am searching for one inch blocks for the rear of my 93/99 Explorer. Good luck.

since no measurements seem to be available, i measured the fender lip heights on a couple of 2nd gen x's myself (xlt's w/ p235/75-15's) - the fronts were basically 33" and rears 32".

my x has the pass side t-bolt removed, the driver side t-bolt set to level it out (cranked up pretty far) and 1-1/2" blocks in the rear. my front fenders measure 31" and the rears 30-1/2", which indicates a 2" tt drop in front and naturally 1-1/2" in the rear.

if the shop can get the alignment set w/ zero camber w/ the current t-bolt settings, i will prob put 2" blocks in the rear for a uniform 2" drop. if i have to raise the front up a little to get zero camb i will (i do a lot of hwy miles).

i've also got the ee rear bar and trimmed bump stops. the handling improvement so far is amazing. i can't wait to get an alignment and then maybe some 17" perf tires.

then i'll have to get the sohc performance caught up w/ the suspension.

Have you installed camber plates in the upper control arms? They will help to get a good alignment. Advance can get them, I paid about $35 last week for them. Good luck,

i will have alignment shop install them. around $200 for camber kit and alignment.

Back