strange problem, need help | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

strange problem, need help

I have a very special modification that brings down my HC count, and aids in fuel economy, to be revealed at a later date.

You might have mentioned this earlier in the thread. Without knowing what this is, I can only assume it hurt your truck somehow.

Good luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nope, didn't mention it earlier because I just put it on there for the 4gas and the smog test, cannot finish registration without a passing test. I just literally put it on there yesterday. works great. I'll remove it, of course, to finish troubleshooting the problem after my registration is finalized.

Nintendokd can you take a closeup picture of your coil it looks like it has a grey powderish residue all around it i cant tell for sure from the pic you have posted.

that is the protective powder coating of the desert, we call it sand and dust, but I suppose others call it by different names, LOL. Hold Tight, I'll post some more pics soon.

Ok cool, when we get the grayish power around the coil here its usually bad. dont forget that detailed crap test lol i been curious all day.

Still no joy on the smog test, one place failed me because all of my monitors were not on. The other one failed me for a burned out CEL, not for a code, mind you, but the bulb being burned out disqualifies you from passing. The first place found that they could not keep it at 2500, which is required for the machine to continue. The engine would either go up to ~3000, or go down to ~1500. Wonder what that means? I will post the test after I get some grub, haven't eaten all day.

I've been stupid busy, I am selling my dodge motorhome and am getting it ready for sale, has a fouled out plug. *curses* won't even idle. I sent the PCM to a place out of Jacksonville FL. cost me 280.00 but will be completely calibrated when it gets back, and I will not need to redo the security on it. As I understand it the injector, and spark ignition modules are bad on the board, turn around is 24h, and the PCM should arrive in their hands on Tues next week. This is not a swap operation, I receive the same module back. This vehicles history is unknown, however, I surmise, that it is probably due to a poor battery and/or charging system, and repeated jumps. I promise the test I used will be coming soon, I made good on the pics didn't I?

I've been stupid busy, I am selling my dodge motorhome and am getting it ready for sale, has a fouled out plug. *curses* won't even idle. I sent the PCM to a place out of Jacksonville FL. cost me 280.00 but will be completely calibrated when it gets back, and I will not need to redo the security on it. As I understand it the injector, and spark ignition modules are bad on the board, turn around is 24h, and the PCM should arrive in their hands on Tues next week. This is not a swap operation, I receive the same module back. This vehicles history is unknown, however, I surmise, that it is probably due to a poor battery and/or charging system, and repeated jumps. I promise the test I used will be coming soon, I made good on the pics didn't I?

Well atleast you are getting somewhere and hopefully it will be fixed. No problem I am a patient person. lol

I have to know, is it fixed? almost two months is a long time to not know if it runs right!

Did it work??

I commend your stick-to-it-ness man... My exploder is doing the same things yours has been doing all along here. Just wondering if the computer change fixed it or not? Thanks

still at it

ok, so I have been out of the game for a while. I am now getting out of the corps and have renewed motivation to get this thing fixed so I can sell or keep it. P0174 recurring, tells me that it is a pass side vac leak, there is a large hissing sound at first startup that subsides as the engine gets warm. I have checked everywhere with carb cleaner, and nothing. Tells me that the mani is cracked??? I am fed up with this thing, replaced the dpfe, and also the dpfe egr on the pass side of the engine. the latter one has two vacuum connectors to it, one goes to the egr thing under the battery "white", and the other connects to the manifold vacuum port "red" I used the smoke machine and this is where there is a detected vacuum leak. I will do some more testing tomorrow. The long wait was for the shop to set everything up for the new 5-gas, and smoke machine, as well as the new alignment rack, tire and brake machine, and to re-route the air lines for the giant ingersol rand compressor on site "whole shop shut down for that" plus other goodies. someone stole the mitchells ford disc so I can no longer access it from the shop, but I still have the forum.
the car idles funny "soft misfire, "hisses" when cold, and has a code that only comes up intermittently when driving "not when idling" p0174, I had a code before with the solus hooked up which was for a pinched vacuum hose, but I cleared it and it hasn't come back since all of the work I did. I still have some hard vacuum lines, but I plan to replace those soon. I may need a new intake manifold upper and lower, as my bolts/screws are all threaded or worn out. holds firm, but they felt mushy the last time I tightened them down.

Back