stroker questions

Racin Jason

Reaction score
City, State
Elk River Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0 AWD
I have two questions:
1. Has anyone out there had problems with stock 5.0 awd converter balooning and wiping out the thrust bearing??
2. Does the aftermarket 94-97 mustang adjustable fuel pressure regulator work on the 5.0 explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes the regulator will work for you. never had that problem but i am not a fan of using stock converters any ways.

just a guess here, but i would think almost any mod for a 5.0 mustang would work on a 5.0 explorer. they are both 302's and except for some differences the parts should be interchangeable.

do any of the mustangs torque converters fit the the 5.0 explorers tranny i have heard yes and no, and im in the middle of a tranny swap right now so this would be a great help to me....im looking for about 2000rpm stall speed ....thankx

if you want a converter, go with www.baumannengineering.com they will make you one for your application for the 4R70W. honestly, the stocker is higher than most stalls i would go higher than 2000.

jason, the regulator is bolt on basically.

get a PI converter they are what i sell and would not go with any thing else. alot of cheaper converters will just end up messing up your trans. baumman are distributors for presision industies (PI) as well as my self. each converter is made custom for your truck with your specs.

As for the regulator, a caution to other reading this, it will only work for 96- 98 explorers. In 1999 Ford changed to returnless fuel systems, so a rail regulator from a stang will not work.

For later trucks, two options exist. 1) Change out the intank regulator (not sure what others exist). 2) Add return line to the truck and use 96-98 fuel rails.

On my Ranger, I added a return line and use an Aeromotive remote mount regulator to control fuel pressure.

Thanks for the info on the regulator.

As far as converters go I am going with Hughes Converters. They are a major provider for race converters in the 5.0 racing world and are very reputable. They're not cheap but you pay for what you get.
Currently TCI only offers a 3000 stall converter for 5.0 Explorers.
Hughes starts at 2200 and goes up from there.
The stock converter seems to stall around 1800 which is considerably higher than most stock converters. I wouldn't recomend going higher unless you have done a cam change.
I have e303 in mine which seems fine with the stock converter, but I feel it will work even better with a 2200 stall.

Hope this helps everyone out there with converter q's.

Back