• Register Today It's free!

Stuck TTY cylinder head bolts

swmyers_57

Reaction score
City, State
Chambersburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, I am trying to remove the heads from my 2002 4.0 SOHC but the TTY bolts don't seem to want to break free. Does anyone have a proven method for removing these? I have already broken one T55 bit trying to remove the fiorst one.

Thanks,
Steve:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy a couple more bits and use an impact gun. The pounding action may help.

Hi, I am trying to remove the heads from my 2002 4.0 SOHC but the TTY bolts don't seem to want to break free. Does anyone have a proven method for removing these? I have already broken one T55 bit trying to remove the fiorst one.

Thanks,
Steve:confused:

Place a punch in the center of each head bolt, then give each bolt a couple of raps with a hammer. The jarring action should help break loose any rust or corrosion between the threads on the bolts and those in the engine block. If a bolt still sticks, use the punch and hammer and rap it again. Or, if you have a pneumatic air hammer, use a blunt tip and hammer on the top of the bolt to shake it loose
Bob T
:usa:

Place a punch in the center of each head bolt, then give each bolt a couple of raps with a hammer. The jarring action should help break loose any rust or corrosion between the threads on the bolts and those in the engine block. If a bolt still sticks, use the punch and hammer and rap it again. Or, if you have a pneumatic air hammer, use a blunt tip and hammer on the top of the bolt to shake it loose
Bob T
:usa:
We are on our 2nd T-55 socket trying to remove the TTY bolts today from my wife's 2003 4.0, trying to find possible solutions on the forum. A punch and hammer to the center sounds like a good idea, would an impact T-55 maybe get it done. Trying to destroy as little as possible.

I’d start by buying a top brand T55. If you break that, I’d look into other options.

I'm curious to see what works I have read about people who just keep breaking sockets then try the ez out socket and it comes right off
Others just keep breaking them till it finally comes loose some it just pops off

curiosity

Back