Suggestion for New Members that are posting to threads that have been dead for over half a decade. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestion for New Members that are posting to threads that have been dead for over half a decade.

sehaare

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT 4WD SOHC,94XLT gone
I'm not one of the lead guys on this forum but I am on enough different car forums to know that resurrecting a thread that died over 5 years ago, by posting to it, doesn't do the original poster, or anyone else, much good. So, before you post to an old-dead-thread, that "you have the same issue" or try to help the original poster (who either fixed the issue or gave up long ago), check how old the thread is.

If you have an issue, use the search feature, read the old threads that the search finds, to see if any of those have a solution for you. If those don't help you, then start a new thread describing your issue and asking for help (mention that you did try searching first to prevent being flamed for not doing the initial legwork before just asking for help). You'll be surprised how many people will be willing to help you if you put forth a little effort on your part first.

A final word of caution, don't just BS about searching first, if some else does a simple search on your problem and finds multiple threads that cover it, proving that you didn't search, all of your help is going to dry up pretty fast.

And before I get flamed, there are always some exceptions that make it good to update old threads.

One example would be threads concerning the quality of different manufacture's parts, as those may change over the year such as parts that were manufactured in the US 10 years ago now being moved to China in the last few years. Another would be a new fix (such as a newly designed part) that wasn't available when the original thread was started.

Back