• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions for SLIM Electric Fan

MoabB2

Reaction score
City, State
South Jordan, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 Bronco II (97 Mercury)
I'm looking for some help in my search for a new electric fan. My situation is really unique in that I don't have much room at all! I need a puller fan no deeper than 3", and I need to pull a lot of CFM.

My current fan was insufficient from the beginning, but was an emergency install on a wheeling trip. I picked up the only fan in town. It is a 16" and pulls 1500 CFM. During 90+ degree weather, crawling in Moab, it just couldn't keep me cool.

So, my setup:
1997 5.0L V8
24x19 Aluminum 4 core radiator
AC
CAI, TM Headers, Dual Flowmasters, SCT X3.

I'm considering:
Sidewinder: 2200 CFM, super thin, pricey
Spal 2113?, 16": 3000 CFM, 3.65" thick may be too big

Suggestions? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ttt

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I still don't know what to do though. Remember my radiator is only 24" wide, so a 28" wide fan is not going to work. I'll have to see if Derale has any others...

Can you get your radiator moved forward at all? Don't discount all fans based on external shroud sizes.

The fan blade section is critical, plus the depth of that and the motor. You can fabricate a shroud to locate and mount any fan if those previous dimensions will fit. It's not that big of a deal to modify a shroud if you have to, many here have done it. Regards,

Well, that is the first problem. I have a custom tubed core support. The radiator was 'supposed' to fit in the core support but due to the fabricators miscalculation it sits behind the core support. No way to move it forward.

Also, I don't have a shroud at all. I don't see any room for one either.

Check out fans made for the VW Sirocco Summit sells them. They use dual fans and are less than 3" thick.

Try to concentrate on the fans with the spiraling blades. Those pull more air for the given size.

i run a 16" crome zirgo 3000 cfm on the back and a 7" fan on my trans cooler on the front for 4x4 (only runs when towing or 4x4)
http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/zirgo/product.lasso?prodinc=coolingfans
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index.php?cPath=15&osCsid=62848221af1d412ee5d57d14f250cda3

opps just reread your post the zirgo fans is 3.5 so it will not work
if you cut the bar out in the front of your radiator you can run a fan in the front as a pusher,i did this for years with my 16 on the front and stock in the back till i realized i would get more power if i take the stock off and run a 16 on the back

i run a 16" crome zirgo 3000 cfm on the back and a 7" fan on my trans cooler on the front for 4x4 (only runs when towing or 4x4)
http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/zirgo/product.lasso?prodinc=coolingfans
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...f3e6e9cabea24b

opps just reread your post the zirgo fans is 3.5 so it will not work
if you cut the bar out in the front of your radiator you can run a fan in the front as a pusher,i did this for years with my 16 on the front and stock in the back till i realized i would get more power if i take the stock off and run a 16 on the back

Man that fan pulls some crazy CFM though, 3650! And they look like they are pretty tough too.

Can you mount it on the front as a pusher fan instead of a puller

the fan can be a pusher or puller,like I said he's just got to remove the bar infront of the radiator,that's what I would do because real slim line are very costly and don't have high cfm,I can post pic of what you got to do to mount it in the front if anyone wants to see.
Posted via Mobile Device

o and I run the 3000 16 crome and sitn still in 90 degree weather it only kicks on for like a min or two then off,I just have the 7 one to keep the trans real cool for 4x4 since heat KILLS the a4ld
Posted via Mobile Device

This one looks promising: http://www.derale.com/17-inch-rad-fan.html

I have ZERO room in front. I have a custom Core Support and like I said, AC cooler, and dual trans coolers. Soon a winch will be mounted in the grill too. Pushers don't work as good as pullers either.

dang and you got the 5.0.have you thoght about maybee two smaller fans.my 7 pulls 1000 cfm if you get two 10 that are like 1250cfm would that work they are slim and cheap?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, 2 10s might be an option.

those do look good how much do they cost?
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ttt

Remember my radiator is only 24" wide, so a 28" wide fan is not going to work. I'll have to see if Derale has any others...

Ahem...cough...cough...

You turn the fan 90 degrees...now it's only 14 inches wide and 28 tall. I took my fan and shroud off yesterday and did some checking. It will fit. But the 17" fan of theirs looks like it may be a better option.

Back