Suggestions of Tint? 15% All Around? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions of Tint? 15% All Around?

16EBBOY

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V6
I have an 06 Eddie Bauer and currently it has 27% on the two front side windows and the stock 20% on the back, tomorrow im going to get 15% added all the way around. will it look evenly proportionally?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a 15 % on the fronts only which looks just about perfect except for when windshield is facing the sun. Then the extra light on my tan interior makes the front windows seem less dark, but very close.

I say save your money and don't do it so you don't look like a drug dealer. That's just my opinion.

If your current tint is in good condition, best to leave it alone.

Any darker will just attract unwanted attention from law enforcement types.

I did matching 20% on the front two windows of our 10 XLT. It is white suede with black leather. Nice and clean looking I think.

If you double up, you're going to be seeing 15% of 20% or ~3% if that's right. (?) I don't even know for sure, but that seems darker than limo tint. I had limo on one of my old cars, and it was very hard to see out of at night when trying to back up, etc. I would do the fronts to match the rear stock tint and leave the rears, IMHO.

This is so subjective. But since you asked, I say leave it alone.

We bought our '06 and it had tinting added all the way around. Backing or just making turns was downright dangerous, as I was not sure of what I was seeing.

I yanked off the tint from the rear window, not knowing how it would leave the adhesive behind (but it's fine). I then used a steamer to carefully remove the tint froim the front-side windows. Much better. So far I'm leaving the tint on the middle and back rows. But I don't think I'd ever add more than stock. It's just not needed, and looks like your trying to hide something.

I added the minimum percentage, I think it is 35%, all the way around on my 2008 Limited. It darkened the back sections up that were already smoked from the factory, but living in Texas, you are crazy if you do not have tint. The tint reflects the sun and harmful UV rays that fade and dry out the plastic and leather causing your car to age well before it should. You can noticably tell a difference in the heat reduction in the interior before and after the tint is applied. I would not apply tint over tint as it would probably be too dark and illegal, or if the base layer loosens up, you will have bubbles. If you remove the tint, use mineral spirits and a straight razor blade to remove the adhesive. You can have the installers do it, but it will cost you. Good luck!

just an update:
today i went and got them done after debatingg, they look amazing!
on the drive and passenger front side i have : 20% over 20%
on the backss i have the stock privacy glass with 15% over that and it matchess just about perfectly.

Pics please. Sounds incredibly dark.

I just had 30% installed, here in florida it is perfect in the day but at night it very dark.

picture.php?albumid=10838&pictureid=46354.jpg

before

picture.php?albumid=10838&pictureid=61568.jpg

after

it is really dark, i havent driven late at night yet so that should be interesting, but i will post a picture tomorrow or this weekend my truck is really dirty and could use a good washing. I really like how the tint keeps out the sun and protects the interior! the only thing i didn't get tinted was the back hatch glass because i was afraid i wouldn't be able to see anything and that would not be good! It almost looks like the mountaineer picture above but the front is a little darker. But i cant belive that is 30% i think he meant to type 20% because 30% is way lighter than that. That looks around 15-20% on those front two windows.

It might be 15% then, i asked the guy to match the color of the back windows.

2pq6z2p.jpg

That is a picture of it today, sorry about how dirty it is hahah im a high school student and barely have time to wash it haha. but i love my explorer to death.

Looks good, even if a little dirty.

What's the stock tint on the back windows? I want to match the front windows.

Also, what's the cost to tint the front windows?

I know I paid 90 bucks, and I asked the guy to match the back windows, I thought it was 30% but might be 15%, I don't have a receipt b/c the shop said it was illegal no receipt, cash only.

my recommendation is to deff go darker rather than lighter, i think the stock back is 20% but i would go with 15% on the front because if you get 20% on the front then it will be lighter because of the sun coming through the windshield so id go with 15%. Ive had my windows done like 4 times.
The first time i got legal which was 27% and came out greenish : $75
The second time i got the 27% removed and got 20% put on : $85
The final time which is of the pictuer i got another sheet of 20% put on both front windows and they put 15% over the stock privacy glass its so worth it. especially in Charleston, SC. But it cost $200 for the whole thing minus the back hatch window witch i didn't get tinted because i wanted to be able to see out when backing up ha.

heres a new picture now that its clean!

11icw0p.jpg

25gfmgi.jpg

2qxsvo4.jpg

Looks great, although I don't know how you see out the windows! Of course, I'm over 40, so I can't see much anymore...

The costs are better than I would have thought. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back