supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 46 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think there is room, but it would be on the drivers side right at the back of box, so i dont know how good of a reading it would be

Ill piont out the positive, gota be better than before the charger;) lol

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

IAT location

I'm not familiar with the EE V8 configuration but here is where my IAT sensor is to be located on the Banshee V6 intake manifold.
VacR2&L1.jpg

It's located away from the direct output of the blower into the intercooler (heater core) and above the midpoint between cylinder ports #2 and #3 .
TightFit.jpg

Core9.jpg

Where did you get that intake base at? Was there an acutal kit make for those at one point? How much boost are you running and what are your IAT? ^^^

Tim, sounds like the location at the rear will be fine. I ordered my sensor and pigtail yesterday. I found a factory Ford one to use so I'll experiment to see if it works correctly. I went to order the standard sensor and the pigtail was on back order until after the first of the year. I think the Motorcraft one is a little more money but it is what it is, maybe it'll last longer.

I wonder how much difference would be made if we could figure out how to suck air in from outside the engine compartment?

R P Caster

Where did you get that intake base at? Was there an acutal kit make for those at one point? How much boost are you running and what are your IAT? . . .

It's a Ranger kit that Ron Caster (Banshee) modified for an intercooler and I'm in the process of installing. My target boost is 8 psi. It's not running yet so I don't have any IATs.

I wonder how much difference would be made if we could figure out how to suck air in from outside the engine compartment?

It will make a significant difference accelerating from a stop. My engine compartment temperature easily climbs to 150 deg F when stopped but rapidly decreases toward ambient when my speed exceeds 25 mph.

I love seeing RPCasters art work. Ron has amazing fabrication skills.

It sure would be awesome if all the v8 guys got together and talked Ron in to making a manifold. Problem is, there wouldn't be a huge requirement for them. Sort of a one shot custom deal of a few.

I'm out, as i have a date with a rear mount turbo.

Do you have a part number or what it's from Andy?

My parts guy at the local dealer is really good and I trust him so I don't know either right now. When I get my hands on them I'll let you know.

Don, I agree! I wish there was some sort of kit for the explorer 5.0 (ideally that worked with a whipple ;))

My parts guy at the local dealer is really good and I trust him so I don't know either right now. When I get my hands on them I'll let you know.

Don, I agree! I wish there was some sort of kit for the explorer 5.0 (ideally that worked with a whipple ;))

Thought there was....or maybe it was just mustang. .

Ok so the Ford sensor has been discontinued that I was going to get and appearantly there aren't any left in the country. I found a sensor and pigtail made by BWD that should work. Sensor part # is: WT385P, pigtail is: PT758. Sometime with in the next 2 weeks hopefully I'll get it installed and post back with the results.

its been a LOOOOOOOOOOONG winter
other then helping don do a few things to his truck, not much has happen. i didnt even drive evil all that much because it was way to cold, and i found out the hard way the block heater didnt work (so did one battery).
lots of time sitting doing nothing but thinking....actually bugging me. and it was 4pointslow's truck that was bugging me (dont take offense to it either, cause it was more like a inspiration lol).
what bugged me was how fast that thing was (and andy's truck as well, but that is a different animal as well). how the hell did he fit that blower on there! its a SOHC FFS! and a stock one at that. i started thinking if he could put a eaton m112 on there, why cant you fit one on a 5L. then i remembered. mr.boostman (damon, the guy that i bought my EE kit from) went that way, and thats why he pulled the the m90. so i gave him a call, and started asking questions. the timing couldnt have been better for me. because of his misfortune, he had to pull the top end off his motor. i asked for some pictures of the mount that he got. not only did he come threw with that, but also some measurements as well. then the gears really started turning.....hard core.
guess what evils newest part will be

thats right. its sitting here on my bench at home now. big BIG thanks to don for his help on doing all the paperwork for me to clear canadain customs.
so when it starts to warm up, i am going to start making a mount bracket, and a intake tube for it using the spare motor i have in the shed (i knew that thing would come in handy one day besides taking up space). i have a good idea what i have to make for it. the tube will be a little tricky because the blower has a oval shape, and the throttle body is round, but i have been building this in my head now for the last 2 months and think i have it figured out.
sorry, anyone that see's this, when i get this all figured out, and on the truck, the EE set up has been spoken for already by a person that shale remain nameless at this point in time lol. BUT, for all us 5L guys, if i can do this kit without to much pain, i am going to make a few extra ones that will fit on the 5L's and sell them, but a very limited amount.
stay tuned!

NICE!! So many questions, where do I begin??

First, are you still going to AFN? If so, you must be planning on running the M90 for this year.
Second, How much boost do you expect to get? You were maxing out at ~8psi before right?
Intercooler??? If so, that would make me very interested in what you come up with. I feel that your set up as well as mine is very limited by our IAT's.
How many liter is that M112 again?

By the way, 4pointslow is the reason I swapped my rear end and went to a 4:11 gear ratio. I'm still blown away thinking about that picture with the front wheel off the ground, I don't care if the suspension isn't set up right that is still impressive.

Id say an intercooler incorporated in to the intake manifold would be a fantastic idea.

Sooo....When's the hood cutting party? I just cant see you packing the M112 and an intercooler in there without ending up above that magic line.

Do you plan on utilizing an intercooler?

i want to, but i know i would have to get a custom core made up, and at this moment i dont have any final measurements

He lives in Canada, IAT never reaches above -40c :D

sad truth is......

NICE!! So many questions, where do I begin??

First, are you still going to AFN? If so, you must be planning on running the M90 for this year.
Second, How much boost do you expect to get? You were maxing out at ~8psi before right?
Intercooler??? If so, that would make me very interested in what you come up with. I feel that your set up as well as mine is very limited by our IAT's.
How many liter is that M112 again?

not sure yet if i am going or not. it will be down to the wire andy. if i do get there, yep, it will be with the m90 on. dont want to try and rush to get it on, and not work any bugs out it may give me, or have it blow up on me in the middle of nowhere. as for boost, 4point was telling me he is getting about 12 with his on the smallest pulley you can get before shaving the snout (i think it was a 2.7 and he has a intercooler). this one came with a 2.8 pulley. as for running a cooler, i will have to see what height it ends up being. i qwickly took a tape measure to both the m90, and the m112, and the m112 sits about a inch higher already. if i can tuck it in with out cutting my nice flamed hood, its game on. otherwise i will have to make a hood, and i dont really want to do that. nor are there a lot of people i would think wanting to cut up their hood, buts thats my opinion. and yes, when its cool out, i max at 10psi, warm around 8 with the sewing thimble pulley. and i am not sure how many liter a m112 is.

By the way, 4pointslow is the reason I swapped my rear end and went to a 4:11 gear ratio. I'm still blown away thinking about that picture with the front wheel off the ground, I don't care if the suspension isn't set up right that is still impressive.

i know right? i think that picture is going to end up costing you and i a dump truck full of money, lol!

Id say an intercooler incorporated in to the intake manifold would be a fantastic idea.

Sooo....When's the hood cutting party? I just cant see you packing the M112 and an intercooler in there without ending up above that magic line.

i might be able to get a cooler in there. maybe. NOOOOOOOO cutting of the hood party...or at least the flamed one. i have a 99, and a 97 hood (the 99 was the one i was going to use for your truck) sitting in the shed right now, as well as a 07 ranger hood that i will use if i have to carve up a hood. the one thats on there now, if i have to make another hood, that one will end up being wall art. lol

Blower displacement

. . . How many liter is that M112 again?

The M90 designation is for 90 cubic inches of displacement per blower revolution. 90 cubic inches = 1475 cubic centimeters or 1.475 liters. The M112 has 112 cubic inches or 1.835 liters

1.475/4.0 = 37% for the SOHC V6. 1.835/5.0 = 37% for the OHV V8

I think the M112 on the V8 is comparable to the M90 on the V6. The advantage of the M112 on the V6 over the M90 is that equal boost is achieved at lower blower speeds potentially reducing the IAT. The same should be true for the M90 vs the M112 on the V8.

I agree, once these blowers go out of their efficiency range they really heat the air bad.

With a bit of luck, the M112 will run cooler than the M90 in the boost ranges we are looking at. We all do agree that an intercooler is best case scenario.

Tim, if you want to try to lift your front tires, you will need that intercooler.

Im sure you could make it happen, but it does increase complexity of the intake (And possibly height).

Cool new ideas Tim, go, go, go.

What kind of space might there be up to the hood, with the M112 mounted "normally?"

You might consider doing an intercooler system like the Kenne Bell guys do with the Mustangs. They divide the outlet plenum from the blower, to divert the air charge to pipes that go to an IC, and back to the other side of the blower outlet plenum.

Maybe with the M112, the plenum underneath could be made taller by the available space, and block off half of it horizontally(blower outlet(front)). Then run the air charge out the side of that plenum, to an IC(either a front mounted air to air unit, or to a water to air(in a box)), and back to the back half of the plenum above the intake. Some variation of that might fit.

the innercooler (m90) i got from don was 2 inches high. when i put it on, the hood would not close. i think the total height with cooler and intake plenum for the m90 was around 4 1/2 inches. now if i measure the m112, it sits about a inch higher. the measurement from the pictures i have, mr.boostmans plenum is 4 1/2 inches high. however, that one was made, if i am not wrong, for a fox body mustang. well, what does that motor have that ours doesnt (insert jeopardy theme here)? a distributor. i think when that box was made, it was made to clear that. with that said, i think i can drop it down 2 inches. i think. i tried calling a few places today to see if they could make a innercooler core, and didnt have much luck, but i also didnt call a lot of places either. i would like to put one in there however. another thing i was trying to figure out is what is used to keep it from flopping around inside the plenum? just plane old weather strip, or felt?

Back