Suspension identification help is needed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension identification help is needed.

FrankenStude

Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane, QLD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1947, M5, Std
Hi All,
Greetings from Brisbane, Australia.

I have a 1947 Studebaker pick up that I brought in from the US about 10 years ago, it has Aerostar front suspension that requires a rebuild. From what I can find out Aerostar's never made it out to Oz so will need to bring in the rebuild kit. My questions are; (1) Was the front suspension the same in all the models from 1986 to 1997? (2) If not how can I identify what model it was from?

I really appreciate any help here.

Cheers
Matt
Fred.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'morning BrooklynBay, (11am down here)

Thanks for the welcome, I would like to replace the wear items - bushes, ball joints etc. The coils are OK and I can get the shocks here. The bushes in the lower control arm seem the worst.

Check WWW.RockAuto.Com. They ship worldwide. Moog is a good brand. The upper ball joint is connected to the control arm on the original Motorcraft part. You will have to grind off the rivets, and use bolts & nuts for the Moog parts. What are the names of your local auto parts stores?

These threads might help:

Check WWW.RockAuto.Com. They ship worldwide. Moog is a good brand. The upper ball joint is connected to the control arm on the original Motorcraft part. You will have to grind off the rivets, and use bolts & nuts for the Moog parts. What are the names of your local auto parts stores?
Our auto parts stores here are: Repco, Supercheap, Auto Barn, these have actual shop fronts but there are heaps of online stores, So I take it from the comments that Aerostar used the same suspension from '87 to '96?

Our auto parts stores here are: Repco, Supercheap, Auto Barn, these have actual shop fronts but there are heaps of online stores, So I take it from the comments that Aerostar used the same suspension from '87 to '96?
The suspension stayed the same for all model years, some of the bushings are also used in the 1974-1978 mustang 2.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I've looked on line and will put together a shopping list. Initially it looks like I'll be replacing the Upper and Lower control arm bushes, Tie rod ends, Stabilizer bar bushes and Link 'washers' . The shocks I can get down here. Thanks once again. I'm getting the rack & pinion steering unit overhauled at the same time.

The Aerostar front suspension is a popular swap into the classic trucks and cars.

These tools or similar tools are recommended:

375x375_products-LIS-41600.jpg

Back