Suspension questions

bschnur

Reaction score
City, State
Bridgeville, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer XLT
Hello,

I am new to the forums and to Ford Explorer's. I just recently purchased a 2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition with 30K mileage. The truck has stock tire 245/65/17.
My questions are about the suspension and steering. I am use to Jeep Wranglers, my last one was a JK Wrangler. The Explorer seems to have a good bit of understeer to it. I also notice that the front end tends to "dive" into cornering when pushed hard. I understand the whole roller over characteristics and how Ford engineers tried to compensate, but my Jeep had a much higher Center of Gravity and solid axles and had no understeer or "diving' into cornering. Maybe my issue is that I am just way to use to Jeep steering.

The Explorer seems to require a good bit of muscle to keep it in a turn without it wanting to self correct. Toe in and camber appear to be correct, the truck tracks correctly hands free, tire wear in completely normal.

I am wondering if a wider tire will help correct the understeer and I think a stiffer front sway bar would help correct both the understeer and the "dive" characteristic?? Anyone else deal with this?? I think the Ford engineers over compenstated for rollover. Thanks!!

Back