• Register Today It's free!

swapping engines...

Pyromaniac91

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsboro, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
i have a 91 ex with a manual trans. what complications will i find with wiring if i swap a motor that came from an auto tranny? can i use the computer thats in my rig now and be ok? or is the engine itself gona have different sensors and gona run wierd? the mechanics of the swap is no problem, but i just dont know about the wiring or computer differences. i'd be swapping from a 92 with a blown a4ld. i can get the whole rig for 450. worth it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

THere should be no differences, other than maybe a reverse nuetral safety switch harness for the manual that may or may not be different on the a4ld, but if you use the old harness you won't even know it. You will need most like to change the bearing in the back of hte crank where the input shaft from the tranny rests.

so using the harness from my manual ex, and the computer, and so on... i can swap the motor and most likely have little to no trouble? beautiful. thank you sir!

It is the same as installing a 5 speed engine, except you have to convert your new auto trans engine block to a 5 speed engine block.
Sinceyou have a 5 speed OHV as a donor you can take the parts you need from it while the two engines are out
Since you are putting a 92 into a 91 you will have no issues using the 91 parts.

what parts do i need? just the bearing at the back of the crank? ive done engine swaps on toyotas, so im familiar with that bearing swap, and ive pulled my tranny numerous times. just want to know exactly what im getting into.

well an automatic uses a torque converter and flex plate
an clutch uses a flywheel and pilot bearing.
Along with the spacer, bolts, and the metal shroud that goes between engine and trans and you will be golden. Parts that bolt to the crank on the back of the engine to accept the transmission.
Simple

I think he's staying with his manual, not converting to auto. He'll just need to add a pilot bearing to the back of the replacement motor, and bolt all his old stuff in.

oh good. cake. thank you guys.

Automatic vs. Manual Engine

I downloaded an article from the web a year ago, excerpt below regarding camshafts:

The FOTZ-B (manual trans cam) is very similar to the FOTZ-A (auto trans cam), except that the timing was advanced 10° to move the torque curve around in order to make it feel a little better with the manual transmission, so the FOTZ-A should work fine with a stick; the difference is so slight that it probably won’t even be noticed. We wouldn’t recommend using the F0TZ-B with an automatic, though, because the extra advance in the cam may affect the way the engine behaves with the torque convertor.

Intresting factoid. Thanks for the info. Also note, if you used a stall converter it would probably work (using the manual cammed in the auto)

I ran an automatic 4.0L engine in front of a 5 speed trans, no issues.
I ran a 5 speed 4.0L in front of an auto trans, no issues.

All he is doing is replacing the engine in his truck
his truck is a 5 speed
his new engine came from an auto trans truck
he has to change the back of the engine from auto to 5 speed using parts from the old engine

But I already said all that and why...

I personally would install an all new clutch and pilot bearing while the engine is out as well.

I think he's staying with his manual, not converting to auto. He'll just need to add a pilot bearing to the back of the replacement motor, and bolt all his old stuff in.

please re read my posts

well an automatic uses a torque converter and flex plate
an clutch uses a flywheel and pilot bearing.
Along with the spacer, bolts, and the metal shroud that goes between engine and trans and you will be golden. Parts that bolt to the crank on the back of the engine to accept the transmission.
Simple

I woulda let this die, but ya had to go and tell me of all people to reread

So lets analyze, minues the bad grammar. Check the red. Having a manual, he won't need the metal shroud between the engine and tranny, unless you are speaking incoherently about a bellhousing. All of his old parts will work. Therefore, making nothing necassary except the pilot bearing.

Any questions:thumbsup: :roll:

Oh lord
Look my thread before that one, it states he has to take those parts from his old engine

then he asked what parts he needs so I attempted to make a list

the metal "gasket" that goes between the engine and the trans comes from his 5 speed 91 engine

Bad grammar is just fine here on the truck forum when I am fielding 30+ posts a day

But whatever, all I am trying to do is help him, you try to point out mistakes I made, I point out they are not mistakes if you go back and re-read

All that matters is he has the info to get the job done

I have replaced many 4.0L engines and transmissions, if I miss one fact in a post its okay, because perhaps I have pointed him in the right direction.
So if you see something I missed please point it out I encourage that. I do not pretend to know everything, I just try to help give back some of the help I got when I was learning all this stuff.

I write reports for a living I do not need to worry about my spelling, grammar, or punctuation in this forum.

AH, you're to easy a target for irriation. I am like a rash, you itch me I get worse.

Come on, have a sense of humor for gods sake:thumbsup: :p:

I have one yo

just trying to help him get his engine swap done here

I was laughing pretty good when I spell checked your previous post talking about my bad grammar!!

hahahahahahaha
I hope you are laughing with me, I am not trying to be a rash that is for sure.

Sometimes I misspell intentionally

Huked on phoniks wurked fer me!

well the 92 donor rig is now sitting in my driveway. swapping begins tommorrow, but will go slowly as i can only work on it evenings. starting monday i work 7 days a week, but hopefully i can get through this quick enough.

We changed the engine in my X last year. The doner was a auto and mine is a manual, no problems. A couple things I recall to help. The intake manifold needs to be removed to clear the body. We removed the radiator, but not the AC evaporator. AC compressor was not removed just moved out of the way. One exhaust bolts,from the manifold to the Y-pipe would not come out. I would soak the exhaust bolts with PB blaster and let them sit. I would definatly replace the pilot and throw out bearings, slave cylinder and pressure plate. I would also replace the thermostat while the engine is out. I think it is also a good idea to swap the TPS and MAF sensors since you know the old ones work. I would check the donor motor for leaks. We also replaced the oil pump, valve cover gaskets, rear seal and oil pan gasket. My donor motor had been sitting so the top of the motor had no lubrication upon strart up, I think if you pull the plugs and run the stater it will lubricate the motor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good to know, thank you. can i just unbolt my exhaust at the end of the y-pipe where it goes to the cat and have enough clearance from the frame? my clutch, slave, throwout, and flywheel are new as of about 1K miles ago. im on my 3rd tranny on this rig, and now the engine. getting expensive.

Back