Swapping Out Rear Differential Assembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping Out Rear Differential Assembly

TechGuru

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
I'm going to need to swap out my rear differential with one from a junkyard soon.

Anyone have any advice on doing the swap?

Mainly I need to know the easiest way to create enough clearance to pull the rear axles out. The vehicle will be up on jack stands in the rear although I'd prefer to not have to take the wheels off for added safety but due to the axles going though the frame it appears to be necessary. Does disconnecting the upper control arms allow for enough movement to pull the axles out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread may be helpful:

Good luck on that project. I hope you have already loosened the pinion bolts, those are very tight.

I meant have you removed the driveshaft already, the pinion bolts are very tight.

I meant have you removed the driveshaft already, the pinion bolts are very tight.

First thing I did, was very easy. But trying to torque them putting them back I broke my 3/8 12mm "Taiwan" socket and had to go to Lowes to get a new one. Got another 3/8 to replace the one I broke but also got a 1/2 to be able to finish without breaking anymore, lol.

Bought a new left CV axle today since the original won't come out of the old differential.

Very good. I have done that before, left a part together and bought another. My first 95 Crown Vic had a recall for the pitman arm, and I had a fast ratio 97 steering box to put in. The pitman arm tool broke while trying to remove the old pitman arm, so I just bought a new one and left the old one on the steering box. Things happen that surprise you, we just have to keep at it.

All done but it seems the ABS sensor in the replacement differential is bad. I know I plugged it in but according to ForScan it's not being detected at all.

I'll have to swap over the one from the old one tomorrow.

Notice: Motorcraft XL3 additive STINKS like a oil rig!

Good work, I hope that one lasts for the life of the truck now. Old gear oil is always nasty. Put some Severe Gear in it the next time, and the additive if it's an LS.

Good work, I hope that one lasts for the life of the truck now. Old gear oil is always nasty. Put some Severe Gear in it the next time, and the additive if it's an LS.

The one from the junkyard came off a 2002 exp with 293K on it. No way any last that long so I'm sure it was rebuilt at some point. Remaining oil in it was clean.

I used Valvoline 75W-140 plus the Motorcraft XL3 additive.

That sounds promising. I'd write down the mileage you made this swap, and change the fluid again in 50k miles. Keeping good fluid in a diff, can make them last 300k and more with the axle bearings being the weakest links.

The one from the junkyard came off a 2002 exp with 293K on it. No way any last that long so I'm sure it was rebuilt at some point. Remaining oil in it was clean.

I used Valvoline 75W-140 plus the Motorcraft XL3 additive.
My 2002 has 345,000 on the original diff. It's been whining for 15 years, but I switched to synthetic soon thereafter and kept on trucking.

Back