• Register Today It's free!

sync 2.11 not the answer

russell bruesch

Reaction score
City, State
new buffalo michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 limited explorer
I have a 2011 EX limited with navigation with sync 2.8 installed. I have had the Ex since january and have had very little trouble with the operation of the system. Not a single reboot or any bugs other than slow responce from the system. It has been a very stable system untill i installed the new 2.11 version. Stupid me i should have left well enough alone. I was hoping for faster operating speed from the 2.11 sync version. What i have now is a totally unstable system with alot of bugs too numerous to describe. Its something different every day. I am thinking of maybe re-installing it to see if it would make a difference. The original 2.11 install went great without any problems.

If you have sync 2.8 installed in your vehicle and it is stable i would suggest not upgrading to the 2.11 yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just went from 2.8 to 2.11 yesterday. Install went good.

So far everything is functioning just like 2.8 which aside from slow response/screen changes, I had no issues.

I can say that the iPhone paired instantaneously. That has been the only noticeable difference in the 24 hours that I have had 2.11

I have a 2011 EX limited with navigation with sync 2.8 installed. I have had the Ex since january and have had very little trouble with the operation of the system. Not a single reboot or any bugs other than slow responce from the system. It has been a very stable system untill i installed the new 2.11 version. Stupid me i should have left well enough alone. I was hoping for faster operating speed from the 2.11 sync version. What i have now is a totally unstable system with alot of bugs too numerous to describe. Its something different every day. I am thinking of maybe re-installing it to see if it would make a difference. The original 2.11 install went great without any problems.

If you have sync 2.8 installed in your vehicle and it is stable i would suggest not upgrading to the 2.11 yet.
That is exactly why I have not upgraded from my Version 2.4.

Before going back to have it re-installed pull fuse # 29 and see what happens. Trick pull fuse with car off then turn car on then back off then put fuse back and then turn car on and wait see what happens !!!! Good luck !!!! If nothing happen then re-install 2.11 again.

mine came with 2.8... slow and reboots and a couple of freeze screens. thank goodness never had to do any fuse pull tricks, that would be awful.

upgraded 2.11 and it has been noticeably faster than 2.8 and much more stable, rarely any glitches, except for the occasional reboot which are much fewer and farther between. so 2.11 has been much better for me.

i wouldnt say 2.11 gives the mft a passing grade now... i dont think you should experience any reboots or occasionally long lags when pushing buttons with any frequency on a production vehicle.

if youre like me and stopped trying to use the nav and just use the common controls (radio, air) and maybe the bt phone and usb music now and then, it's bearable now.

Does pulling fuse #29 reset all MFT presets to there default positions or does it save the presets that you have programmed the system ?

I have v2.11, and the woes that I have are:

* randomly will not connect to my iPhone, says BT is off, and would I like to turn it on? (If I say yes it replies with "BT is off, would you like to turn it off?" again. Endless loop for the lolz)

* randomly will decide that GPS is not going to work and can't really give me any sort of positioning for about 10 minutes or so.

* if I'm streaming Pandora with BT and someone calls the ring tone will now start to "stutter" ie it plays for a second then silence, then plays, ad infinitum.

* odd one: when I put it in reverse sometimes the camera "stutters" and will skip like I'm not getting the video for a split second (if there's a veh passing behind me it'll be to the side then WHAM in the middle having traveled during that pause).

I have a few non MFTs like the collision alarm will suddenly light/sound for no reason sometimes and my windshield wipers will activate once (I have it set for autowipe). No buffer for Sirius (really? even my $40 2006 XM Roady would buffer 30 seconds and this vehicle that costs a little more than that gets nada).

At least MFT is a solid D+ with 2.11.

My 2.7 was an absolute F for FAIL. Was about as good as a 1979 Yugo, and now it's up to a 1984 Dodge Charger.

I believe that Ford's quality reputation is taking a hit and would have done better to not try to release this MFT v2. Wife's Fusion w/Sync v1 eats it alive.

Sync, 'not ready for primetime', the owners are doing the R&D!
VERY POOR product!

The only problem I've seemed to have had with 2.11 is the same problem I had with 2.4....The dang clock won't keep the right time! Other than that, the response time seems to have improved.

Russell all will be there when system comes back !! All presets etc.... Will be ok !!

Bishop do the same pull the fuse. I have the 2.11 and thank god have zero issues i had zero issues with the 2.8 also. If issues continues of the tech re-install 2.11 trust me it's i really feel that all these issues that people are have after going to the dealer is tech error !!!

I am at v2.8 on my edge and it is a big improvement over 2.4 but i am hesitant to get 2.11 installed

I went from 2.8 to 2.11 with no problems. Phone still a little slow to answer from steering wheel button. Dealer did update, before it was available as do it yourself.

I went from 2.8 to 2.11.

At first everything was great. Seemed to be quicker and more responsive. The last few days I have started to have all kinds of random problems. I will monitor this, and see if I need to take it to the dealer.

Been very disappointed with this system. I hope Ford realizes the bad word of mouth they are getting.

I went from 2.8 to 2.11.
Been very disappointed with this system. I hope Ford realizes the bad word of mouth they are getting.
I'm sure they are and that is why they are planning another release early in the new year.
Since I was only having a marginal problem from time to time with V2.4, I decided that due to the various posts about continuing problems with 2.11, I wasn't going to bother upgrading.

Does pulling fuse #29 reset all MFT presets to there default positions or does it save the presets that you have programmed the system ?

russell bruesch,

A fuse pull will not erase any of your presets. If you do pull the fuse, please keep me posted on if it resolves anything. I'm not sure of what issues you are having, but I will try to help if I can :)

I have v2.11, and the woes that I have are:

* randomly will not connect to my iPhone, says BT is off, and would I like to turn it on? (If I say yes it replies with "BT is off, would you like to turn it off?" again. Endless loop for the lolz)

* randomly will decide that GPS is not going to work and can't really give me any sort of positioning for about 10 minutes or so.

* if I'm streaming Pandora with BT and someone calls the ring tone will now start to "stutter" ie it plays for a second then silence, then plays, ad infinitum.

* odd one: when I put it in reverse sometimes the camera "stutters" and will skip like I'm not getting the video for a split second (if there's a veh passing behind me it'll be to the side then WHAM in the middle having traveled during that pause).

I have a few non MFTs like the collision alarm will suddenly light/sound for no reason sometimes and my windshield wipers will activate once (I have it set for autowipe). No buffer for Sirius (really? even my $40 2006 XM Roady would buffer 30 seconds and this vehicle that costs a little more than that gets nada).

At least MFT is a solid D+ with 2.11.

My 2.7 was an absolute F for FAIL. Was about as good as a 1979 Yugo, and now it's up to a 1984 Dodge Charger.

I believe that Ford's quality reputation is taking a hit and would have done better to not try to release this MFT v2. Wife's Fusion w/Sync v1 eats it alive.

the bishop,

A fuse pull may help with your MFT issues, but I suggest visiting your dealership since your collision sensor is randomly sounding.

The only problem I've seemed to have had with 2.11 is the same problem I had with 2.4....The dang clock won't keep the right time! Other than that, the response time seems to have improved.

Out of curiosity, do you have GPS Synchronization and Daylight Saving Time set to ON? If not, here's how to do it:

MENU > CLOCK > GPS SYNCHRONIZATION > ON

MENU > CLOCK > DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME > ON

This is a known concern and we are working on correcting it (no ETA). If you would like a temporary fix, please contact your local dealer.

Rebecca

Have you checked the collision alarm's sensitivity setting? Perhaps it is set too sensitive.

Back