• Register Today It's free!

tape deck mod / DIN size

double_u_4

Reaction score
City, State
romeoville,il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
i saw on here some 1 talking about the tape deck mod to run an ipod adapter. how does that work can any1 please explain that to me. & i dont mean buy the tape w/ the cable on it. i have 1 & it sux.

also i just want to make sure the radio in a 2000 explorer is a double DIN correct or is it a DIN & a half. ive always had & used a single DIN.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey there, The 2000 explorer can fit a double din with some modifications and using this dash kit.

To add an iPod interface you need to have a certain radio that has CD changer controls. That way the adapter will plug into the changer port for music, control and power transfer. Certain models do not have that port so the iPod interface would not work. For example a 2000 explorer without Mach and cd/cassette must have one preset button labeled "COMP" and another "SHUFFLE" for this one to work.

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rFORc111/p_581PA11F1/USA-SPEC-iPod-Interface-for-Ford.html?tp=120

dya i saw that, i dont have teh cd changer controls on mine, just the regular cd/tape deck headunit. i just read on here somewhere that some1 was talking about making a mod for the tapedeck to get it to work without having to get the tape with the cord for it.

It was involving re-soldering wiring inside the deck and a dummy cassette adapter to trigger the signal. I wouldn't mess with that, I'd listen to Vlad, he's the guy for this stuff...

ok, thanx, i guess ill just get the tape deck with the cord then. i really dont like it, as ive had a few b4 & they always kept stopping & sounding like the tape was trying tp flip sides. but i guess that is my only option for now unless i get a new radio,.

The older Ford decks (like ours) like to not play well with tape adapters. For $100 I put in my Pioneer with a patch cord input in the front that I can plug my MP3 into. Way easier, and more reliable. Best part- same green dash lights. :)

Back