Taskers Gap/Peters Mill (Virginia) Run | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Taskers Gap/Peters Mill (Virginia) Run

We are researching another trail a little closer to Richmond. The first is the Stoney Run Jeep Trail, and the second is the Peavine Mountian Jeep Trail. I believe that both are in the Pedlar Ranger district. When I get more time I will post the link to the ranger web site. The Stoney Run trail is near Sherando Lake which is very appealing because it is only about 90-minutes from Richmond.

Don't get your hopes up to much for a snow run, I believe that the tangers close the trails in bad weather to protect them. However if it does snow I am up for a local run. We may have a farm out in Hanover County that we can go and run a muck on.

I haven't been up there in a couple months, but I camped/hiked near Stony Run alot this summer. The last time I was there, September, the trail was closed (gate). On one end is Coal Rd (FDR42). There are alot of nice camping spots along this road.. some small holes in the woods.. others large fields that are also secluded from the road. The other end connects to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Somewhere along the way is a deadend offshoot I believe. The Saint Mary's Wilderness area is on the immediate west side of the trail.

I've only been maybe 2 mi. max up Stony Run. It was mostly narrow rock trail.. VERY bumpy. I was also completely stock. The Forest Service site says it's 12 mi. long and gets worse as you go. Stony Run pics here.

Also in the area is Shoe Creek. Pics and video linked in that thread. Ran it 2 weekends ago spur of the moment. Maybe 4 mi. long. Alot of fun. Looking at the gazateer, there looks like another trail just east of Shoe Creek, along Rocky Run. Haven't been able to find much info online on it.

Back