• Register Today It's free!

Temp gauge issue?

Chef Sharkos

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
1998 5.0 Ex - So my heater valve had a plastic piece break so had to replace that and said screw it and changed thermostat too. After changing the thermostat, it reads kinda low. Bought the 190 (maybe 192?) and not sure if it’s fine. Heater works fine, blows hot but still reads low. Could it be my temp gauge? Pic is after running for 20 min. Thanks.

83854D74-0334-460D-8891-4029B9FFBEF3.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks normal to me
Maybe your other t stat was running hot

Mine always runs just below half way. I think it's normal.

I had a problem with the sender unit on my 4.0 OHV. IN the winter time the temp gauge was showing not warming up. I replaced the sending unit. Every thing in back to normal

If it seems to be moving around with temperature change (as engine warms up), it's fine, as long as the upper radiator hose gets hot and pressurized from the t-stat opening after running that long. If it doesn't then you might still have air in the system from the prior work.

You only use the same OEM spec temperature rated T stat; because the ECU uses the that temperature to make adjustment. One of my big problem was not getting all the air out. The gauge needle moves up and down.

Back