SVO

Meow
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Smithville/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
08' Suzuki SX4
Alrighty, I'm trying to guage who wants to do this trip on like the dates of December 9th-11th.

I personally have travled this back in 1993 in a 1986 Ford Taurus and was amazed!

This is also a great trip to see the old millitary installment (Fort Travis) on Boliver point as well as the Boliver light house (as many of you know I collect them).

We will also be riding the ferry from Galveston to Boliver, this means, we arrive on friday, see the sites and wheel out and camp overnight, then wheel on to Sabine Pass and then half way back to camp again before we finally wheel out take the ferry back and head home.

Anyone interested????

87_closed.gif

Photos taken 7-September-2001

Western End at High Island
Although the road is closed, the beach is still open to vehicles. There was a surprisingly large number of vehicles cruising along the beach at the end of the road. Since beaches to the west are very popular, there is a certain amount of overflow to this section.

87w_barricade_A_USE_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

Eastbound motorists on Texas 87 are diverted northward on Texas 124 at High Island. Although not visible in this photo, High Island is on a tall salt dome. Its thirty-eight-foot rise above sea level makes High Island the highest point on the Gulf of Mexico between Mobile, Alabama, and the Yucatán Peninsula. There are plenty of stripper oil wells around the Salt Dome.

87w_barricade_C_USE_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

87w_asphalt_at_end_B_USE_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

87w_looking_west_towards_truck_B_USE_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

87w_asphalt_chunks_H_USABLE_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

There is plenty of evidence of the former road along the beach. This view shows a debris field of asphalt chunks.

87w_big_asphalt_chunk_G_USE_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

This is the most dramatic evidence of the destroyed road.

87w_big_asphalt_chunk_F_jeep_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

A jeep maneuvers around the big asphalt chunk in the middle of the beach. Because of the asphalt strewn all along the beach, it's a good idea to have a truck or high-riding vehicle (preferably 4 wheel drive) when driving along this section of beach.

East End, at Sabine Pass
Texas 87 near Sabine Pass is very desolate and isolated. This isolation is one of the main reasons why local authorities have been trying to get the highway rebuilt:

87e_road_closed_signs_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

87e_old_road_B_USE_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

87e_road_end_USE_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

The road comes to an abrupt end. Foliage has taken over the broken up asphalt just ahead. It's interesting how the roadway end is so different on the east and west ends. Perhaps the heavy traffic on the west end has prevented the growth of foliage on the west end.

87e_asphalt_K_USE_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

87e_warning_sign_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

First-hand report of driving the lost highway route

On September 29, 2003, I received a report from a TexasFreeway.com reader who drove the full length of the washed out highway. His report details a fascinating driving adventure. It sounds like conditions are very challenging and the route is becoming increasingly difficult to traverse. He called his journey transcendental. For me, the scenes of my 2001 visit (particularly at the east end) were surrealistic and are permanently etched in my memory. The road pavement came to a halt and natural vegation was ahead. Thunderstorms were forming in the distance. Waves were crashing.

Awhile ago I was doing some research on Texas 87 between High Island and Sabine Pass and came across your TexasFreeway website. I loved the pictures and mystery that the photos left me with, so I decided that I was going to conquer it.
I took my girlfriend in my 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 and waited for a nice, dry day and until low tide to proceed. Needless to say, it was an awesome adventure. Once I got past the crazy nude beaches (I had no idea that there were any in Texas), we were alone. It was quite scary, and the conditions were awful. There was no road or roadbed...just marsh to drive upon. The only low point was when the marsh was unable to be passed due to extremely deep mud (> 12"). I had to get out and build my own road using pieces of the road that remained. Numerous, cavernous bumps (thankfully, my truck has the 18" ground clearance) coupled with deep mud made it quite a jarring ordeal.

We had to navigate through a series of fences put up by the gov't, which required much maneuvering. I had to use 4x4 Low the whole way, as it was quite muddy and bumpy. After passing three abandoned oil processing centers (2 hours later..quite possibly the longest it's ever taken me to drive 20 miles), we made it to Sea Rim State Park (which I suppose is the reward for completing the route, as we got in free). Hundreds of beautiful, gigantic pelicans gracing the sky was quite a transcendental experience. I just wanted to say thank you for inspiring me to undertake the most challenging experience of my life, as well as the most rewarding one in my short 23 years.

Here some links of possible intrest for the trip:

Fort Travis:

16937forttravis.jpg

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/PP/rrp5.html

http://andy_bennett.home.mindspring.com/travis1.html

http://www.forttours.com/pages/tocfttravis.asp

Bolivar Light House:

3353330l.jpg

http://www.crystalbeach.com/light.htm

http://www.glasssteelandstone.com/BuildingDetail/550.php

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/BB/ccb3.html

Galveston Ferry

Ferry_large.jpg

http://www.texasbob.com/travel/tbt_bolivar_ferry.html

http://www.crystalbeach.com/greer.htm

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/mnt/ferryops/ferryops.htm

Nope sorry folks this won't like a huge rock crawling, highly technical trail run, but what I see is a great historical getaway with the real live living show of how nature changes the earth.
This is calculated to be a 3 day 2 night trip starting on a friday meet-up (On Galveston Island) and ending Sunday.
Mainly all you will need is fuel (don't foget extra(Jerry Cans)) and food/water, plus the accomodating gear to get you through the night.
There is no people, stores, perse roads, buildings, nothing for 20 miles, so be prepared, also huge camp fires are a go, as we'll collect wood along the jouney.

As for towrigs (if you plan to tow your rig), you can look at the camping cost for Fort Travis and leave them there for the weekend.

Jeff - :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I call shotgun for the :navajo: . :D

dangit..i wish we had abandoned highways....

WoW thats awesome, let me look at my calendary!
if im free count me in!
i just have my doubts since my truck its 2wd

FexplorerV8 said:
i just have my doubts since my truck its 2wd

Since it's not for a few weeks you might take a day off and go pre run some sections of it and see that you will prolly be able to do most of, where if you do run into issues, some of us 4WD guys will be happy to give you a tug through the muddier sections, or if we get enough participants to go, you will prolly be able to bum a ride. :thumbsup:

i wanna go but just dont think my boss will let me off 2 weekends in a row well see though

I am interested in going, but I will have to check with my events coordinator (wife) to see if there is anything going on that weekend. Sounds like a good time and a chance to meet some folks face to face. What time are ya'll planning on meeting Friday? First thing, or later in the day?

ill go but i just found out of a friends retirement on the 9th....so that just jumped in

KaiserM715 said:
I am interested in going, but I will have to check with my events coordinator (wife) to see if there is anything going on that weekend. Sounds like a good time and a chance to meet some folks face to face. What time are ya'll planning on meeting Friday? First thing, or later in the day?

Bring your wife as my GF will be with me, spouses are welcome to come along!

I'll leave Bastrop in the morning, but because I grew up in the Clear Lake/Friendswood area I'll prolly stop off and see a few friends and then drive into Galveston from there for the meet.

As we get close to the date, I'll finite a set spot to meet at, as the Ferry waiting area is not setup for that, something like a spot on the Sea Wall (San Luis Hotel) or down by East Beach.

I figure we can/could even meet at Franco's Pizza there at Sea Wall Blvd. and Broadway, hang for a 1-2hours for everyone to get there and head out, would like to start while there is still a lil light, some of us are setup for night runs.

Well send maps, and phone number lists out prior to the run so we can all communicate for the meeting.

CB's and Family Radios ($20 2 ways from Wal Mart) are suggested, prefer the CB.

I would recomend to relocate your vent lines on your axles and transmissions/T-case for the possible deep water. (Water Proof)

I would say a vehicle with bigger than stock A/T's or M/T's with little lift (2"+) should be ok on this run, as some of us are bigger and locked and can help the little guys just incase, but please make sure your not gonna bite off more than you can chew.

It's been better than 10 years since I have been, plus as you well know hurricane Rita went right through there, so it has changed, I'm sure a lot.

Prepare as you would for any other offroad trip but knowing it really actually flat with missing HWY and flooded areas, it shouldn't be extremely challenging I wouldn't think.

But will be neat as there is noting for miles, you never know the long lost treasure from some pirate ship mabey waiting for us on the shore to discover, LMAO!

None the less, able to put names with faces, commerdery, stories, camping, bon fire, the sound of the surf........................

And for most of you guys this is in your back yard and shouldn't cost you very much, and it gives the southern Tx people a chance to go out and not have to travel to the north end of the state to go wheel.

I actually think I'm a little over built for this trip, but it may come in handy incase we do get in a pickle.

16937Serious_Rendering_EF-med.jpg

Please don't let it sound like I'm discouraging any of the stock Explorers, but I also don't want to misslead any of you either.

I haven't been this route in many years, tides and weather conditions, due matter here, and the infamous hurricane passing are all something to think about.

Although clear thinking and some smooth driving could possible get you all the way through, there is the possiblity that other circumstances could arise.

As for being prepped:

Recovery gear:

Winch, if your vehicle is equipped
Straps (prefered), chain if that's all you have.
Hi Lift jack
"D" rings
block of wood 4x4 or bigger
gloves
extra shoes in case you get wet!! or golshes (rubber boots) (clothes also)

Saftey gear:

first aid kit
sunblock
water
glasses
communications
whatever YOU may need for an over night stay in the middle of no where, that inclueds extra medication if you take them.
did I mention water?
toilet paper

Ideas for just in case:

tool kit
for you people running auto hubs (1st gen only), an extra set is a good idea
portable radio w/weather band (although my 2 way in my rig has one a back-up is nice)

I know not everyone has all this stuff and there are those of who do have it, so I'm sure if we all bring ours we'll be just fine.
PM me if you think I need to add more to this :)

It's always better to be overly preppared than wishing you would have not left it at home. ;)

Dangit!! Wish it weren't so far away...I'd love to come do that trip.

JDraper said:
Dangit!! Wish it weren't so far away...I'd love to come do that trip.

Come on down Jeff and bring the Mach I. Would like to see my car with those headlight covers of yours... ;)

FYI:

Was talking to one of my friends in Clear Lake this morning via IM and check this out:

Tom Douglas says:
looking at the route 87 thread.
Tom Douglas says:
hey did you know that beach combers are finding gold and silver coins down there?
Of course they dont LOOK like gold and silver coins...but LOTS are being found.
Tom Douglas says:
they look like a little black disc like a blob of "tar"...
Since all the erosion from the last two storms, I'll bet there's ALOT more being uncovered and washed up.

Anyone have a metal detector?? LOL

;)

Tom Douglas says:
Cptbil:
I hear that there is a section of beach...about 10 miles long... where you can find either, 1553 or 1554 Spanish Silver Coins!
AND!
That they sell for $1000-$2000 each! depending on condition?
Have you been there ?
Tom Douglas says:
10 miles long... sound familiar?

http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php/topic,23555.0.html

http://www.wintertexans.com/treasure.htm

ok i am gonna make it to this....if i have to haul ass to SA to go to the military retirement...then haul ass to 87....i will so this should be fun

zavaral said:
ok i am gonna make it to this....if i have to haul ass to SA to go to the military retirement...then haul ass to 87....i will so this should be fun

Sweet, that's AWSOME, you may be able to hook up with Jared "bigGREENxlt" in SA and both of you two caravan in together.

That is if I can get the rest of his bugs worked out so we can to a shake down run, but I'm positive about it. :D

I also sent this thread link to Jordan "hiridin" hoping he and his girl friend can make it too.

i meant to go harass jordan about it..but i think hes to whipped for it...so who is it so far...you stanggirl jared and me and brandy
i would ask to see when your free to weld my rear...but i think i know the answer already :D

Hmmmmmnnnn.....Maybe.

I just might come out of retirement for this run. I'll have to check with the Boss and clear the weekend.

Which means...

I'll have to fix the CB.

Other than that, I'm trail ready.

Rob

i got a spare cb if anyone needs it

Mag mount Antenna? I may need to borrow it if I can make the run. Should know tonight if I'm really in or just dreaming. My antenna is busted, I think the CB may actually be good.

What temp ranges should we expect?

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

*rubs eyes*

OMG It's Rob!! :eek:

WOW! it's great to see you again, yes please join us, if you can't get the redneck cellular to work I have quite a few of the family radios for us to use.

Don't get me wrong but I'm gonna say 50's-60's on the temp.

OMG I still don't belive what I'm seeing

Back