Explorer Babe Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
I never thought I would post in this part of the forum, but there is always a first time. Let me explain:

On the way to work Monday morning, I noticed that my Explorer was acting a bit sluggish, powerwise and that the little battery idiot light was on. When I pulled into the parking lot, all of a sudden my headunit's display kept flashing on and off and I noticed that my battery meter was now near 8, it wasn't when I left. I parked the truck and turned it off. When I tried to start it....nothing happened.

I told my brother that something was wrong so he looked at the cables and stuff and when we were ready to go home, he jumped the truck, and told me to go straight home. I got about maybe five minutes from my job when all of a sudden my head lights go out and then I lose power, luckily I got it off the road when I felt it shut down. I called my brother who was still at the job and told him what happened, he came and jumped me again and I returned to my job and parked the truck, but not without it having to be jumped again.

He said to me that he thought the alternator might be shot so Tuesday we went to get an alternator from one of the used part places, since I didn't have the money to get a new one, both places near us didn't have one for a 92 Explorer, but one place could get us one for Wednesday, I put a deposit on it and my brother picked it up during his morning break. After work he proceeded to install the alternator after which he jumped it and.......nothing, it was still acting the same as before. He checked and found out that the alternator wasn't charging the battery, so he figured that the negative terminal might need to be replaced and he would take care of that on Thursday after I got it at the local parts store.

This morning while I was waiting for my ride to get to work, I decided to look around on the site and see if anyone else ever had this same problem, I found lots of information and I cut and pasted many threads to a document I could print and show my brother.

The one thing I gathered besides replacing the alternator (already done), was to check the battery cells to see if one was dead (battery is two years old), change out the battery terminals and cables(doing that next week) or check a fuse that regulates the alternator.

The whole problem with my truck......a 15 amp fuse that burnt out, which aggravated me a bit because I laid out 50 bucks for nothing, but really aggravated my brother who used to work for a mechanic, and he forgot the one thing the guy told him: "Always check the simplest stuff first and work your way back"

Even though he was a bit miffed, he did have fun installing the alternator.

Me, I'm just glad my Explorer is back on the road.

So, to all of the new visitors to our site I can't recommend using the search feature enough, also when trying to find out what the problem is with your rig, remember to ALWAYS check the simple stuff first and work back. You just might save alot of money that way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good advise :)

too bad it doesnt work that way for me, i always break the expensive stuff... but then, thats because of my racecar/stolen car driving habits too

That is good advice. And as always, hindsight is 20/20.

IAmTodd said:
That is good advice. And as always, hindsight is 20/20.
Unless your Ray Charles :D

BTW Sandy...whenever the Red Battery light comes on you are basically running your truck off of the battery instead of the Alternator.. As such to limp home you need to power off all your electrical stuff (no radio, no fan, no a/c, no opening windows, and no lights if possible.) This will ensure that all battery power is only used to run the engine and computer....

DeRocha said:
Unless your Ray Charles :D

As such to limp home you need to power off all your electrical stuff (no radio, no fan, no a/c, no opening windows, and no lights if possible.) This will ensure that all battery power is only used to run the engine and computer....

No lights.....kind of hard to do when it's dark outside :D, Yeah I know you said if possible......I just had to be a smart ass :p

Good post! Glad you fixed it

-Drew

Back