That "rumble strip" feeling | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

That "rumble strip" feeling

I was getting a huge vibration at highway speeds. It turned out to be my rear Driveshaft. Since it's 4x4, there no slip yoke on the transmission side like on a regular rear wheel drive car because 4x4's have a Transfer Case. Instead, this DS has an expandable joint in the center that will go bad, which causes the DS to slightly jump rope at speed.

They are about $500! F that noise... I got a decent one at the junkyard for $40, and put my U joints on it. All is well.

An easy way to diagnose it it to just get under the vehicle an push and pull up and down on the DS where the joint is. If you have any noticeable play and movement, you have a bad one.

ok...I have a 2004 Explorer. Mine recently has the rumble strip feeling going, however unlike what I've been reading, mine happens pulling away from a stop sign or any kind of a stop & really happens if I am turning pulling away from the stop. Also seems like the Explorer has to warm up to do this.

A bit of other info about the Explorer...in 2007 it had the trans fluid flushed. In 2013 it had the tranny rebuilt....I will have to find paperwork to recall all they did, but it was not anything to do with the servo pin wearing the groove in the housing. In the last 2 years I replaced both front bearings/hubs & axles. Boots were ok at the time. I also just had the tires changed within the last year & then letting a dealership change the oil & rotate the tires, they knocked the tires out of balance.....

& on top of it my blend door actuator has gone...lol but that isn't the concern...

Any ideas?

Back