The 2011 explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 2011 explorer

What is not to like on the new X? Go test drive one.Was looking at the GC and am
glad I waited for the new X. What has Chrysler done with the bailout money it received?
How can you spend $40K and not have 3rd row seats?
The Navigation option on the new X is less costly at $800 than on the Flex at$1800
and the leather uprgrade is $1500 less than the GC.

What are you talking about? The new Grand Cherokee is gorgeous! Those arent supposed to have a third row, if you want the third row chrysler will gladly sell you a Durango.

I loved my Explorer and while I like the new one I just dont think the grand cherokee is a competitor to it. I think the Durango is a far better choice to compare to an explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why call it something its not? Let the name die or revive it with something deserving of the name. The reason of the sales slump was they kept getting bigger, uglier, and more expensive.

I think the new "vehicle" is nice and has great features that will work great for the majority of owners. I DD a Vue and its a great CAR.

Good luck ford, keep on alienating your die hard blue bloods. Hopefully they will release a simple offroad friendly platform not encumbered by useless electronics and gadgets.
I think the new Explorer is likely to be a very successful SUV. I think the main reason the former generation sales began to slump is because the majority of customers did not want a 'truck' based platform. Just look at the growth of the market for unibody type SUV/crossovers. I tested a 2002 Explorer when I turned in my '99 Windstar but did not like the ride. Spent the next 10 years and my $$ on 3 Highlanders. Now I have someone to take over the remaining 2 1/2 years of the lease on my '09 and have ordered the new Ex Limited. I think Ford will bring others into the fold as well with this Explorer. Those who oppose change usually get left behind.

I think the new Explorer is likely to be a very successful SUV. I think the main reason the former generation sales began to slump is because the majority of customers did not want a 'truck' based platform. Just look at the growth of the market for unibody type SUV/crossovers. I tested a 2002 Explorer when I turned in my '99 Windstar but did not like the ride. Spent the next 10 years and my $$ on 3 Highlanders. Now I have someone to take over the remaining 2 1/2 years of the lease on my '09 and have ordered the new Ex Limited. I think Ford will bring others into the fold as well with this Explorer. Those who oppose change usually get left behind.

One thing I have noticed, is the only ones that are complaining about the new X are the Gen 1 and 2 owners! Why is that?

The rep are in the house and gas is what keeps there pocket full!!!

Hey looook ford did not take any bail out money and today is giving us many beautiful cars and suv etc... If anyone is not happy with ford just go to gm or chrysler show room and ask for the keys to what ever car you like you own them they should not say no..... Ford sold volvo landrover re-mortgaged there propertys and gave america a great product and will keep doing so. I have a 2008 cts4 3.6di hotlava ltd and the explorer has ten times more features than the cts. I orderd a 2011 ex ltd 302a package golden bronze with pecan interior and paying $ 250.00 less per month. Gmc should be paying me intrest on the money i loaned them !! So plz if you dont like ford think what gm&chrysler is doing for you and the quality theY give you. Gm volt thats a joke. Chrysler nothing to brag.

Hey looook ford did not take any bail out money and today is giving us many beautiful cars and suv etc... If anyone is not happy with ford just go to gm or chrysler show room and ask for the keys to what ever car you like you own them they should not say no..... Ford sold volvo landrover re-mortgaged there propertys and gave america a great product and will keep doing so. I have a 2008 cts4 3.6di hotlava ltd and the explorer has ten times more features than the cts. I orderd a 2011 ex ltd 302a package golden bronze with pecan interior and paying $ 250.00 less per month. Gmc should be paying me intrest on the money i loaned them !! So plz if you dont like ford think what gm&chrysler is doing for you and the quality theY give you. Gm volt thats a joke. Chrysler nothing to brag.

See, the problem is, I'm a Ford man. Always have been. I don't plan to change my loyalty any time soon. I just won't be buying any "new" Fords until either

A: I can afford it...don't hold your breath :D

or

B: Ford starts building cars/SUV's that "I" want.

I want REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE and at least the option of a V-8 engine in a mid-size SUV. Ford no longer offers such a product. The Expedition is too big for what I would use it for. But Jeep (Grand Cherokee), Dodge (Durango), Nissan (Pathfinder), Kia (Borego), and Toyota (4-Runner) do. But I want a Ford. So I'm $hit outta luck.

I also want a REAR-Wheel-Drive, V-8 powered, 4-door sedan with a good 4-wheel independent suspension and 4-wheel disc brakes. But Ford doesn't offer such a product (not in the USA anyway). Chrysler (300), Dodge (Charger), Cadillac (CTS/STS), just about any BMW/Mercedes/Jaguar/Lexus/Infiniti, and even Hyundai for God's sake, offer just what I'm looking for. But I'm a Ford man. So what do I do? I drive 15 year old vehicles because that's all I can afford and all I can find that are still made by Ford and still REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE. Ford sucks a$$ for guys like me.:mad:

See, the problem is, I'm a Ford man. Always have been. I don't plan to change my loyalty any time soon. I just won't be buying any "new" Fords until either

A: I can afford it...don't hold your breath :D

or

B: Ford starts building cars/SUV's that "I" want.

I want REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE and at least the option of a V-8 engine in a mid-size SUV. Ford no longer offers such a product. The Expedition is too big for what I would use it for. But Jeep (Grand Cherokee), Dodge (Durango), Nissan (Pathfinder), Kia (Borego), and Toyota (4-Runner) do. But I want a Ford. So I'm $hit outta luck.

I also want a REAR-Wheel-Drive, V-8 powered, 4-door sedan with a good 4-wheel independent suspension and 4-wheel disc brakes. But Ford doesn't offer such a product (not in the USA anyway). Chrysler (300), Dodge (Charger), Cadillac (CTS/STS), just about any BMW/Mercedes/Jaguar/Lexus/Infiniti, and even Hyundai for God's sake, offer just what I'm looking for. But I'm a Ford man. So what do I do? I drive 15 year old vehicles because that's all I can afford and all I can find that are still made by Ford and still REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE. Ford sucks a$$ for guys like me.:mad:

Question... how does the 2011 change anything for you? sure in 15 years you might be looking at a 2011... but there is also a chance that ford does offer you something you like by then...

Further how do you even know that you are going to need an explorer in 15 years??

One thing I have noticed, is the only ones that are complaining about the new X are the Gen 1 and 2 owners! Why is that?

You haven't been realy paying attention. I have a 91 Gen I 6-inch lift on 33s, 04 Ranger Level II stock on 31s (daily driver) mechanically a Gen II, 05 Gen III mall cruser (4-wheel independent supension and auto 4x4), and I just recently bought a 2010 Mustang, so I am not a hater and I embrace technology. That is just a simple lame excuse because people dont want to admit they want to buy a repackaged minivan.

I have owned my first Explorer since 1990. So talk all the crap you want, but I am speaking from experince. I am sure the new explorer is a great car, but it is nothing like what the explorer was when it was concieved. The 91-model was 4x4 of the year, also see the home page of this website. Ford has decided that they can sell more vehicles if they use the explorer nameplate. But the new explorer is nothing like what the explorer was and has none of the traits which made the explorer the best selling SUV in history.

I guess you just have an ax to grind with ford hey time have changed, so if you are still stuck with the old hey happy for you but the automobile industry has to get with the times and needs of the consumers. They did extensive servays to make the choice they did with the new ex. Why make something that only 5% of the people who have explorers use. Make no sence!! Shorry for the way i feel but i'm proud for what ford has done. Re invent them self with no need of o p m !!!

. But the new explorer is nothing like what the explorer was and has none of the traits which made the explorer the best selling SUV in history.

If a Gen I Explorer was released as a new vehicle in the 2011 market, it wouldn't sell for squat. That same Gen I Explorer wouldn't be "truck of the year", "4x4 of the year"- it would only be "the worst selling vehicle of the year".

If a Gen I Explorer was released as a new vehicle in the 2011 market, it wouldn't sell for squat. That same Gen I Explorer wouldn't be "truck of the year", "4x4 of the year"- it would only be "the worst selling vehicle of the year".

Maybe but I know I'd choose a gen 1 or 2 any day over these new ones. No contest.

Question... how does the 2011 change anything for you? sure in 15 years you might be looking at a 2011... but there is also a chance that ford does offer you something you like by then...

I would not even consider the thought of even entertaining the notion of even thinking about purchasing an '11 Flexplorer. It's wrong-wheel-drive with a sideways mounted engine. That precludes any chance that I would ever be interested in buyng one...ever.

But you're right, in 15 years there is a chance...an extremely minute chance...that Ford may have something that I want. But if their current offernings is any indication, I seriously doubt it.

Further how do you even know that you are going to need an explorer in 15 years??

First, because I love my Explorer. Second, I'll still have a family and friends in 15 years (assuming I'm still among the living) and will need to cary people and things around. My Explorer is absolutely perfect for everything I use it for. I have a Lincoln Mark VIII with a 300+hp DOCH 4.6L V-8 that I love to drive. But I would rather drive my Exploder. I just love it. It's what "I" prefer. The new flexplorer doesn't offer what I want.

And gee. I guess Jeep, Dodge, Nissan, Kia, Toyota, and many others must be cutting their own throats by going against 21st century marketing and actually offering people a RWD/4x4 SUV with a V-8 and actual capabilities. That's suicide in today's market. Nobody buys SUV's anymore. Everybody buys crossovers. Nobody buys RWD V-8 powered anything anymore. Everybody buys FWD 4-bangers nowadays. Any car company who would dare introduce a new RWD vehicle with a V-8 must be totally insane and have a deathwish. RWD is dead. The V-8 is dead. Somebody better tell Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Lexus, Infiniti, Hyundai, Land Rover, Toyota, Nissan, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and all those other crazy car companies that sitll put V-8's in their archaic RWD vehicles. They're going to go straight outta business!:p:

I would not even consider the thought of even entertaining the notion of even thinking about purchasing an '11 Flexplorer. It's wrong-wheel-drive with a sideways mounted engine. That precludes any chance that I would ever be interested in buyng one...ever.

But you're right, in 15 years there is a chance...an extremely minute chance...that Ford may have something that I want. But if their current offernings is any indication, I seriously doubt it.

First, because I love my Explorer. Second, I'll still have a family and friends in 15 years (assuming I'm still among the living) and will need to cary people and things around. My Explorer is absolutely perfect for everything I use it for. I have a Lincoln Mark VIII with a 300+hp DOCH 4.6L V-8 that I love to drive. But I would rather drive my Exploder. I just love it. It's what "I" prefer. The new flexplorer doesn't offer what I want.

And gee. I guess Jeep, Dodge, Nissan, Kia, Toyota, and many others must be cutting their own throats by going against 21st century marketing and actually offering people a RWD/4x4 SUV with a V-8 and actual capabilities. That's suicide in today's market. Nobody buys SUV's anymore. Everybody buys crossovers. Nobody buys RWD V-8 powered anything anymore. Everybody buys FWD 4-bangers nowadays. Any car company who would dare introduce a new RWD vehicle with a V-8 must be totally insane and have a deathwish. RWD is dead. The V-8 is dead. Somebody better tell Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Lexus, Infiniti, Hyundai, Land Rover, Toyota, Nissan, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and all those other crazy car companies that sitll put V-8's in their archaic RWD vehicles. They're going to go straight outta business!:p:

You do understand how horrible of a seller the old explorer is for them right? They had to make a drastic change. And as much as you may not like it the people who buy these cars are soccer moms.. (and in my case something that can tow my 3600 pound boat and still be driven around without horrible gas mileage). Sure 15 years down the road you may pick one up... but ford could care less about that. They want to get them out the door, and make the product that people today are buying...

Don't get me wrong I love my rwd. I have a 2004 BMW z4 roadster with a 3.0L and a six speed. But I'm not going to take my 2011 explorer off road... and I love the way it drives and how it handles... (Id suggest going to test drive one... Before you tell me you don't like the ride or how it handles, or that it is fwd)...

I do agree they have too many cross overs. However I don't think this is the one to get rid of. I think the should get rid of the flex. And turn the Escape into an off road vehicle.

But like I said before this is an issue 15 years or more considering you are currently driving a 94 in 2011 (which is more than 15 years old)...

But I'm not going to take my 2011 explorer off road... and I love the way it drives and how it handles... (Id suggest going to test drive one... Before you tell me you don't like the ride or how it handles, or that it is fwd)...

I don't care how it rides or handles. That makes no difference to me. It's wrong-wheel-drive with a sideways engine. Therefore, I will never even consider owning one. Ever.

I don't care how it rides or handles. That makes no difference to me. It's wrong-wheel-drive with a sideways engine. Therefore, I will never even consider owning one. Ever.

Okay so you are here to complain why?

Let me ask you a question. If you were selling cars... And you had a very small percentage of people who don't like your product, would you risk losing money to cater to them?

I'm sorry ford isn't GM... Which it sounds like you want them to be.. My guess is you would be happy if they would have taken a bail out. And didn't run their company with any regard for financial responsibility.

So sorry ford doesn't want to lose money, to build you the exact car you want... so in 15-20 years you can buy one. rather than having it junked. Note you buying their car in 15-20 years does not effect ford at all.. So even more reason to ignore your complaints...

Again ford is making the better cars suv that are in the market right now,as for all the other car makers that took bail out$$$ and don't care what people need should have people like you who want a gen 1 explorer!! And if 15 yrs you are are going to buy the 2011 explorer. Then don't worry much becuase the in 2026 when you get ur 2011. The explorer of 2026 will have wings and fly and your 1994 explorer will be pushed by donkey's

Okay so you are here to complain why?
So even more reason to ignore your complaints...
That is what most of us are doing. This individual seems to be a very closed minded, not open to change or the possibility he may be wrong. I can imagine him being on the Titanic saying, why all the commotion, it's only a leak!!
By the way, :wavey: welcome to the forum. Good to have you aboard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is what most of us are doing. This individual seems to be a very closed minded, not open to change or the possibility he may be wrong. I can imagine him being on the Titanic saying, why all the commotion, it's only a leak!!
By the way, :wavey: welcome to the forum. Good to have you aboard.

Thanks!

Yeah the funny thing is if this person were to drive one they would prob be much happier with it than they are with their current model. But because they have a preconceived notion of what a fwd vehicle drives like 15-20 (or more) years ago mind you... they can't grasp the fact that it might have improved...

It's kind of like someone saying (today) well I'm not gonna buy a cell phone because the ones 15 years ago were HUGE... And you can't fit them in your pocket...

Back