The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside... | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside...

Is that the rubber gasket for the door that i see on the piece you removed?
If it is, what plans do you have for the bottom of the door to fit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that the rubber gasket for the door that i see on the piece you removed?
If it is, what plans do you have for the bottom of the door to fit?

I'm just gonna put a patch panel in the bottom of the door and get it as close to the top of the slider as I can, it won't be weather proof but this really is more of a rock crawler than a driver. I just want to retain the doors for winter wheeling, if I wasn't thinking about that i'd just ditch them altogether. comfort can be sacrificed for performance in my world

Shouldn't that guy be setting up my gears instead of holding your rocker panel?
sure bring the excursion down to the shop, we will put it on jackstands with the axles torn apart for 3months while you get the $ for the gearsets and masters put together, Eric will only charge you friend price for the covered storage lol. no he was taking a break for doing the sammi gears to come give some advice on hacking my junk to pieces.

after we cut that out we ran to my dads and pulled the d44 rear out of the cj5 frame sitting there, turns out that's a rare beasty, offset d44 but it has flanged axles instead of 2 piece axles, its the axle that all the cj2, 3, and early 5 guys want, so I told my dad he could have the shafts and the housing back. also the new table made it really nice to put some jack stands on and tear down the axle, only took about 20 minutes to take all the way apart. Here are a few pics,

d8dd9594.jpg

33725913.jpg

4b277500.jpg

What size sliders are u going to use? Didn't you say 4"x ?
I met a guy from this forum up at one of the shows in Carlisle last year and he said to use 4" wide stuff then the girlie one i have. Since I have nothing but time on my hands until the funds come in for the real hard core stuff other then the ARB that's paid for, I'm thinking this would be a good time to make something super strong.
And now that I've gotten square tubed fabricating down to a science (exo) ha ha might as well stay working with the stuff before I forget lol.

similac.png

And speaking of "girlie".
What's with this stuff doing on a hard core off road fabricators work bench?
Now if it was surrounded by Teddy bears or Barbie dolls I could understand.
But an oily carrier..."Come on Man".
And besides, you should've been weaned off this long ago.

Thats called a poor mans nut and bolt bucket... The children are what cause us to be poor so we have to reuse as much crap as we can!

And speaking of "girlie".
What's with this stuff doing on a hard core off road fabricators work bench?
Now if it was surrounded by Teddy bears or Barbie dolls I could understand.
But an oily carrier..."Come on Man".
And besides, you should've been weaned off this long ago.

I bought 2x4" 3/16" wall rectangle tubing, thats what Eric runs on horton and believe me they get abused, ill post a link to the vid once I get it done of the stuff we wheeled today. yeah baby formula cans, I gave them up but there are still a few kickin around the garage, I use coffee and gatorade cans now lol

Thats called a poor mans nut and bolt bucket... The children are what cause us to be poor so we have to reuse as much crap as we can!

you said it brother, you said it.

probably the worst day wheeling of all time, broke erics front driveshaft, another guys rear driveshaft and flopped a guys toyota. plus a bunch of guys showed up with a case of beer and were acting the fool. ive got nothing against a few beers the night after wheeling or after the rig is loaded on the trailer even, but there are kids running around and other things you need to be in a good frame of mind for. Ive been guilty in my younger years but id expect better from a couple of 50 yr old guys, pretty weak behavior in my mind.

BigBossMan.jpg

Now we know who the Big Boss man is lol. Are you going to put sliders under those stock supports that come under floor board or flush to the ends?

haha thats pretty funny right there, Thats my oldest, Bradley. he went on his very first wheeling trip yesterday, had a great time. the representation of the slider looks great, they are going to be welded to the bottom of the pillars, so above the supports there. ill post up some pics when I get out in the garage this morning. so the plan is to hold the sliders up against the body with a jack and weld it to the body, then patch it into the floor pan and finally weld in supports straight from the frame. I have about 16" of sched 40 that I don't have anything to do with, I think it will work for that. Eric wanted to use square but im out of dinero, every penny is going to the search for a doubler shaft lol

Well here it goes I'm new on here but I have a bronco ii 84 and about to give it a big up grade inside and out I will be taking pictures as I go I just got a 94 ranger with a great drive train on sad thing is that its nt a 4x4 but it won't be long but I'm going to swap my that 4.0 into the 84

Make sure you start a build thread like Jon did so that you can track your progress as you go, take lots of pics too...

Welcome to the board...

that's the plan

Its a slow process with a 24 hour on call job but its going to be a great swap

Make sure you start a build thread like Jon did so that you can track your progress as you go, take lots of pics too...

this

Jon do you want me to rename your build thread? Its so much more than a 4.0 swap...

I agree. The 4.0 is chump change compared to what your doing.

Maybe thats what we should change it to. "The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside..."

You ain't got the balls ha ha.

I met a guy from this forum up at one of the shows in Carlisle last year and he said to use 4" wide stuff then the girlie one i have.

Its just easier to use wider stuff on the sliders because we are attaching so many things to it, in Jons case it will be the base for the A and B pillar, the wider rectangular tube gives you more options of where to attach, even with it being 4" wide I still think we might have to build for the B pillar towards the inside a touch.

The pictures Jon is posting do not do this thing justice. Its looks mean, once we get the sliders on the cage work should begin.

Course Jon has to help me this week to earn a couple of remote reservoir shocks and a seat!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its just easier to use wider stuff on the sliders because we are attaching so many things to it, in Jons case it will be the base for the A and B pillar, the wider rectangular tube gives you more options of where to attach, even with it being 4" wide I still think we might have to build for the B pillar towards the inside a touch.

The pictures Jon is posting do not do this thing justice. Its looks mean, once we get the sliders on the cage work should begin.

Course Jon has to help me this week to earn a couple of remote reservoir shocks and a seat!

I'm going to follow this slider build. Sounds like a Killer build. Then who knows may have to convert from my girlie ones ha ha.

Back