The Fastest N/A 4.0 Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Fastest N/A 4.0 Explorer

I am looking to find the Fastest Explorer with a 4.0l engine! I am looking for the Drag strip time of a 1/4 mile.....and It must be street legal and driveable.... Non-aspirated (No turbo, Supercharger, or NOS) Lay down the times boys....and If you think you got it.....we want some proof with a timeslip! NO bull S$^t stories like riceboys tell! We want proof! Lay it down, I am curious!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aiwa - What are you running now? (times)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

AiwaExplorer said:
ok runs with nitrous do not count but keep us posted....i as well have just ported my TB, taylor wires, new plugs, switched to all AMS oil lubricants, Got a dyno tune....and got some things changed....should have new results posted saturday
are you stick or auto?? if your stick try the hurst shifter its supposed to have shorter throws

What's the rewards for the slowest?

4.slow

Being slow just modivates me even more to get faster. It can be done, and will be done. Mark my words.

I am down to 15.17 @ 90.31 mph....and I ahve a sport, with the 5spd automatic tranny!

I'm wanting to go this Friday, we'll see if work and money allows. It's $25 to run at the 1/8 mile, more than double what I'm used to paying for 1/4 mile runs.

AiwaExplorer said:
I am down to 15.17 @ 90.31 mph....and I ahve a sport, with the 5spd automatic tranny!

Good job! Go for 14'S, you're close! I have awhile before I catch you. Post the time slip!

for the 4.0 OHV team:

I ran a 16.7 @ 80mph a few years ago with my 92 auto sport 4.0 OHV / 3.08 open diff / a few mods (exhaust, KKM, etc).

I now have 3.73 rearend with a powertrax no slip, a few more minor mods (electric fan, MAS, TB, headers, etc)

I think I could put it in the low 16's now, maybe 16.3. I know that is slower than balls, but that truck actually holds its own pretty well against a lot of much newer vehicles that I have ran against (including other explorers).

I think that a 2 door 2wd stripper model OHV (gen I or 2, whichever was lighter) with a 5 speed, a 3.73 or 4.10 rear with a locker, and your basic ricer bolt ons (like the **** that I have) could crack high 15's consistantly. The OHV has its hands full with a 4 door 4wd explorer, but it pushes the lighter models around pretty decently. That 160 horsepower rating can be decieving. The torque curve for that motor is broad, and a lot the total available torque is low on the rpm band. My truck jumps off the line pretty good...I can easily damage the pride of new chevy v8 truck owners (4.8 & 5.3) off the line and to about 50 mph or so.. but after 1st and 2nd gear its pretty much over with.

Guys - We need some time slips posted in here for the proof. We could then start to share the knowledge! My truck is starting to run good. Will be in here soon and pass a bunch of you up if you don't start doing something. Don't take offence but let's show the V8 guys what the 4.0 SOHC is really capable of doing. First one to the 14's N/A is the man!! THe only guy I really see doing ANYTHING is Au01st.

I've never ran my at the dragslip(i cant see draging it, its not a race car!) but i have ran a few 0-60 runs, im about 9.8 - 10.1 depending on alot of things, but thats my average, i dont know what that would get me at a drag slip, but seems fast to me, **** i've beaten older cougers and even a 3000Gt a few days ago!

But yea, maybe i'll take it soon, if ATCO is even still open and give it a run!

Before someone calls BS on the 3000GT, the guy in the gt slipped the front end and it gave me anough time to get ahead, and i believe he missed a shift, the next days his slave cylinder broke!

I've never ran my at the dragslip(i cant see draging it, its not a race car!) but i have ran a few 0-60 runs, im about 9.8 - 10.1 depending on alot of things, but thats my average, i dont know what that would get me at a drag slip, but seems fast to me, **** i've beaten older cougers and even a 3000Gt a few days ago!

But yea, maybe i'll take it soon, if ATCO is even still open and give it a run!

Before someone calls BS on the 3000GT, the guy in the gt slipped the front end and it gave me anough time to get ahead, and i believe he missed a shift, the next days his slave cylinder broke!

No offence but I was faster than that stock. I now run around a 7.2 0-60 (And I've added an E-Fan since then) but I admit i'm not timing myself in an accurate way.

A 9.8 translates to pretty slow..Please don't take that the wrong way but the truth is the truth.

No, we're not running race cars here but in my opinion that's half the fun.

Good luck.

Jakee

Dont worry i know its not fast, lol.

It was faster before i started preparring it for off roading, the trans was rebuil and not made for speed, but for strength!

And I have a vid that translates into a 10 but i let off around 50(speedlimits). So i wana take another run to 60 and get it on film, maybe even today who knowes, i'll repost when i do it!

Sorry, thats not fast.

Like i said, believe me i know its not fast, fast is my stepdad's 72 GS, 0-60 in 4.7, THATS FAST, lol

Sometimes I catch myself doing a mod and feeling REAL good cuss it made a pretty good difference....After a week or so I realize I'm still slow as hell. Oh well, I love it!

I'll half to admit I felt REAL good when I sucked up 1978 Chevy El Camino with a 305 V8. It was the FIRST real test for me and I damn near rear ended him cuss I thought he would be a little faster. It took me all of 50 yards to close in on him from a 3 car length head start.

Now I'm not bragging but it did feel good to know that I've actually done some good. I knew I had but this just confirms it. A few more mods and I'm going to run my friends 05 RX-8 just to see what happens. He might win but I bet it's going to be close. After I charge my ride, he'll be toast.

yea i know when i said "seems fast to me" i meant for my lifted explorer on 31's it felt fast, not in genreal, **** my we have 2 Z06's and 1 viper in my family i know speed very WELL, I just wisher i owned one of those, lol

Thanks though, and do you know if a early 90's 5.0 throttle body would fit on a 96 4.0 OHV

Back