jlsparky7

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Woodhaven, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0 XLT AWD
Thermostat Change How To Video

Thermostat how to. Great to do if your heat doesnt get very hot.

ATTN MODS: Rick and I thought it would be a good idea to "double post" some of my how to's in different sections because a majority of them apply to more than just the 1996 stock explorer.

Rick, if im misunderstanding what you meant go ahead and do what you need to do with these under the hood how to's. Not that im giving you permission or anything cause I know you dont need it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the post, jlsparky7! I just did this on my '00 OHV this a couple days ago. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem and it's clear now that the radiator is cracked. Do you have any how-to posts about how to do a radiator swap? Any info/advice at all would be appreciated. I am currently planning to swap it out this weekend and changing out the hoses and serpentine belt at the same time. Any other replacements you recommend while I'm in there? I've heard the water pump might be a good idea to switch out, but it looks expensive...

Water pump is a good idea depending on mileage and how long you plan on keeping the vehicle. I think the pump itself is only 100 bucks or so through rockauto.com. Maybe a little more. If you plan on keeping it its definitely a good idea to spend the extra money and replace it while you have everything apart. Then you will essentially have a brand new cooling system which will be AWESOME for your engine.

I really dont have much in advice for swapping a rad. Should be pretty straight forward. 4 or so bolts holding it in place with 2 hoses. Just be VERY careful while installing the new one not to bang it off of anything cause the metal is very soft. Make sure you top it off after the install and then take it for a quick drive (get it up to temp) then wait for it to cool down and recheck the coolant level.

Thank you. Very clear video.

Nice job on the thermostat video, very helpful. Working on a Ranger sure ain't like a F-150, stuff is just jammed in there. Thanks.

94 ranger 3.0 thermostat change

do you have a video or tell me how to change thermostat on 94 3.0 ranger

Back