thermostat?

NCG8R

Reaction score
City, State
W-S, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V8
1996 Explorer, V8, 110,000 mi
This morning I couldn't get any heat from my heater until 10 minutes after engine reached operating temp. Fan worked but no hot air. I suspect the heater valve that directs the water to the heater core. Once the heat started blowing, the temp gauge would float and read cooler at a stop and normal while going. Never approached the max but floated. Would you guess thermostat needs replacing? I can see this for the floating problem but am uncertain about the lack of heat problem. Any help welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually it sounds like your thermostst is not closing properly. So it takes a long time to warm up (no heat). That is probably also causing the temp swings while driving.

So, I would put a thermostat in it. You should also replace the little bypass hose next to it. I'm guessing all will be ok when thats done.

I'll second the recommendation to replace the bypass hose. I had that little sucker burst on me one time, and I was lucky I made it home, the engine was running around 250 and steam was pouring from the engine bay. Definitely replace that every time you do the t-stat.

I recommend using the Motorcraft part, I've had no problems with M/C t-stats in two Ford vehicles.

Stant ones are good too!

i had the same issues and toss one in and bam!!! all fixed!

joel

Replace the t stat and use preferably not with a motorcraft one.

I have same issue with my 96 limted 4.0, my question is what stat should I use to replace the old one. There are several choices, different temps and one called superstat. Is the superstat a fail safe & if not should I still use it? Would it help to drill a hole in it if its not fail safe? Thanks!

Back