They rung my bell this time... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

They rung my bell this time...

...I got rear ended by a lifted Hummer...The guy said he fell asleep in traffic with his foot on the gas and woke up after he hit me...

..I didn't have my camera as I was running 1 cabinet out to Riverside at 2 in the afternoon...At 2:30 while stuck at a sigalert on the 91 @ Kraemer, the Hummer hit me but good...No warning and I didn't see it coming...:(

...The dash popped out, but everything else was secured...I just removed my floor jack and tall jack stands so I could haul this cabinet....I was wise enough to stow all the rig bags behind the front seat...

...I went to the doctor last night as the back of my head hit the seat so hard, it actually compressed the padding and hit the metal in the seat...This left a knot and an indentation of the seat frame below the knot...

...Initial look of the two vehicles showed the light tabs of his brush guard hit the top of my bumper and bent it...My receiver had the clevis holder in it, minus the clevis, and this pierced thru his front license plate...So, his brush guard was bent, my bumper was bent, and he had a hole in his license plate...

...My first thoughts was some buddy hit him but no one did...When I got out to look the first words out of my mouth when I saw the damage was," you hit me a lot harder than it looks...Are you ok??"...

..This morning I started the X to go pick up my prescriptions and it had a definite vibration...I went and picked up the prescriptions, Then headed over to a tranny shop where they charged me $80 bucks...They took it for a test drive and were able to feel the vibration...It was while you are in gear with the foot on the brake..If you gave it gas it was noticeable...:scratch:..Probably the tranny mount...

..They put it up on their rack and started looking it all over...We found out that his bumper hit my hitch hard enough to partially collapse the drivers side of the hitch mount...Their is a good 2" from the pass side hitch mount to the frame and on the drivers side, it buckled over to the frame...The rear axle seems to have shifted on the drivers side...They sent me over to a collision shop to get an estimate...The estimate was minus a lot as they will not put it on a rack until his insurance, or I, pay for it..

..Stats so far..

Me.. A little dazed..:confused:..bump and swelling on the back of the head and a stiff neck..

Project X...
Bent bumper
Bent hitch
Tach not working as dash popped out at impact
Rear end out of alignment
Pulls to the left bad...RA seem to of held...:biggthump
Vibration at tranny

The tranny shop will send me pics tonight I hope and I will post them...He contacted his Insurance this a.m. after calling me to see if we could settle with out them...They are now waiting for his formal statement and said it looks like it's a cut and dry case...Hopefully, all I want is to make sure the Project X and I are fixed back to normal...

...2 good things though...I was going to take my Ranger and it would have been totaled...And, her highness was asleep in her bed so she was not hurt a bit in this accident...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn man... glad you are more or less alright. Hopefully his insurance will pay for the repairs and then some =]

Damn glad you're ok hopefully your truck will be fixed with no further issues

Sorry to hear. I'm always worried about losing my truck due to carelessness of other drivers.

let us know if you need anything

Glad your ok man....sorry about the truck....hope everything works out for you in the end...

If it hit you hard enuff to bend your hitch it might have tweaked some of the frame. Make sure you keep the reciept for the tranny shop, and make sure you don't put any money out for further inspections. Once you get with the insurance take it to a shop you trust for the inspection.

yeah i was worried about the frame too...hopefully nothing is off

Man, glad to hear your ok. Hopefully the X is not a total loss.

...Thanks all..I believe I'll just be a bit sore and back to normal in no time..;)

...I have a meeting at their insurance shop and I picked the one that is on the property of a Ford dealer...Their insurance shop will do the work but I wanted to make sure some "uninterested" parties got a look at it right away for documentation so this doesn't turn out to a "He said, He said" kind of thing...The first Gen is pretty stout in the rear and I had extra bracing on the hitch...

..After seeing the hitch on the rack, I told his insurance company that I want the frame checked and definitely the rear aligned, so the front can be aligned...I didn't tell them the truck has a lifetime alignment and it was just aligned a couple months ago...Just in case they try and do as little as possible since it is a modified truck...

...I am figuring something is bent up front also, but even the rear leaf pack on the drivers side fanned out some...you can tell the axle is a bit shifted and hopefully not bent...It's not all that bad but I was glad to see the hitch damage as it explains the impact better than a slightly tweeked bumper..:rolleyes:..In the pictures you can also see the paint flaking at the bend on the hitch...

...The bent arm of the hitch from the bottom, drivers side looking up..
hitch_frame.jpg

..Another view from the bottom...
hitch_frame2.jpg

..This is the pass side to show the normal clearance to frame..
hitch_frame3.jpg

I personally never let another Insurance do work at their shop. Inspecting it is fine, but it's in your best interest to take it to a shop you personally trust. If it's the other guys insurance they have absolutely no say in where you take it. Besides, if you get the estimate you can fix the items one at a time, or take the money and run.

I see Insurance comps that are at fault try to do this stuff all the time where try to force you into their "prefered" shop. I'd get your own estimate, take the check and leave because they are going to try to save money on it.

I've had my own insurance shop try to tell me that some crumpled frame could be straightened when the metal was crumpled and folded over. I fought them on it by just refusing to settle until they totaled out the vehicle.

...The collision shop I took it to today was of my choosing without their knowledge....They are accepted by triple AAA, (my insurance), and several other insurance Companies...They do not do work for his insurance company, (Allstate)...

..I will diligently do my best to watch his ins shop and make sure I feel comfortable with their initial inspection and report on monday...Then I will further discuss it with his insurance co. before the work is done..I do need to let them get a god look to be fair...;)

...Alright you bunch of hooligans...:p:...I fixed it for you...:D

Damn man you gotta move outta the OC it's getting crazy down there.

do i smell a part out coming??????:D

take care hope you feel better soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.."The O.C."...At least it looks normal on tv..:rolleyes:

...It will take a lot more than Hummer damage before I part the X out...:p:

Back