• Register Today It's free!

This Newbie will not be fooled.

VCOSH28

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 and 98 Explorer EB
I am now the proud owner of a '99 Ex EB. I've been cruising around this site taking in as much info as possible. Reading a thread about replacing shocks, a couple of members referenced the "5th" shock. I had previously owned an '05 Sport Trac and never heard of such a thing. Thought it was a joke the regulars played on the new guys. You know, check the blinker fluid when you check the 5th shock.

Well, I was under the truck today checking out the exhaust and there it was. Ok, it exists. Does anyone want to explain what it does or how it works? :roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It dampens axle wrap.

The dampener and brackets are on my '01 Sport Trac. You can see them in this picture in the top left and bottom right of the photo.

IMG_20131119_173411_636_zpsa0633df2.jpg

are these shocks only on 4 door models? my 97 sport dont have one but my 4 door 99 does.

On my Explorer I replaced all shocks but those. Screw them. I have no need for a softer ride. Its a truck, not rolls royce.

It makes people bicker on the net, and as a bonus brings out all the armchair engineers.

When I did my 98 XLT4.0 4x I did Monroe SensaTracs at all 4 corners with coil overs on the rear. Also did the 5th shock. I figured it couldn't hurt.
Got everything from Rock Auto dirt cheap so what the heck.

Chef Duane

It makes people bicker on the net, and as a bonus brings out all the armchair engineers.

+1 on this!!! It's like debating regular vs premium fuel on maxima.org!:scratch:

When I replaced the shocks on my '97 EB, I decided it was kind of foolish not to replace that one also for the $30 or so it costs. I figure even Ford engineers know more about the suspension than I do!! Good luck.

PS: The blinker fluid is a scam - but don't forget to check your muffler bearings!!

The shocks on my truck feel fine so I won't need to replace them for awhile. I will replace the 5th at that time.
[MENTION=144418]bobflood[/MENTION]-I do need a new muffler. Can't find a rebuild kit anywhere!

+:

When I replaced the shocks on my '97 EB, I decided it was kind of foolish not to replace that one also for the $30 or so it costs. I figure even Ford engineers know more about the suspension than I do!! Good luck.

I am in the "while you are at crowd", and trying to keep it near original specs/performance.

Can I go with anything less than Timken bearings for my muffler bearings?

Same here, its part of the truck, so I replaced the old rusty thing. I don't know what it does other than by name alone, the axle damper IIRC.

I am in the "while you are at crowd", and trying to keep it near original specs/performance.

Can I go with anything less than Timken bearings for my muffler bearings?

Timken is fine. Its the spare tire filter thats hard to find.

Does anyone know where I can get a can of Muzzle Flash so I can blow my head off?!

Back