Thomas Knight supercharger adapters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thomas Knight supercharger adapters

unabonked

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98Sport, 94XLT, 96Sport
Has anyone tried the Eaton M62 SC adapter by Thomas Knight? I know this was talked about a while back. I'm about ready to lay down the change for it, i'm wondering what experience others had with it.

I'm running the latest ALD4 tranny, i belive this is also use in the SOHC V6 so i'm not that worried about over powering it.

God bless tax refunds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that the electric supercharger that's supposed be be the safer substitute for Nitrous?

I've read several extperts' opinions, most were bad. While it was off, you'd be running under a lot of vacuum. It uses a lot of power while it's on requireing an alternator upgrade and several batteries. Adds only a few horsepower, not enough for what you pay for compared to other regular superchargers.

meh, from what I've heard, it's not worth it. But wait for some other people's opinions.

Thomas Knight is a crook and isn't to be trusted!! I have a personal friend that purchased one of his $3000 plus M90 setups for a V6 Ranger that was supposed to bolt on. After attempting to bolt it on the throttle body pointed straight at the firewall with less then an inch to spare and the pulley didn't line up anyway.

Please review his site at...

http://rogueperformance.com/sc.html

And note the " Hack " he speaks of is Thomas Knight Turbo's.

Later Doug.

Ouch!

oh fun.... ok i have been saving for a year for what then?

A. buy a real supercharger
B. get a real nice audio/video system
C. get a chip
D. buy a sunroof
E. invest it to make more money
F. you're feeling real generous and want to give it to me?
The list could go on for a while...

Mods don't stop at superchargers. How much money do you have and what else were you planning to mod?

Give it to the disadvantaged pygmys in Bavaria! :) Ok seriously, isn't the Explorer Express supercharger like $3500 or something like that? Get one of those, You'll have a proven bolt on that will make lots of power. I know the thank God for tax returns thing. Good old Uncle Sam held on to enough of my earnings to help me buy my Explorer this year. Next year it'll be a supercharger.

You are better off doing it yourself, meaning have an adapter made locally its not that complicated, also there are BETTER ways to SC the ohv 4.0L, see if you cant find a used BBK instacharger, or better yet run the Vortec.

Did EE ever finish their V6 supercharger? I've seen it in the final stages for quite a while now...

EE has the SOHC charger out now.

h0twh3els said:
I have the EE kit on my sport.

If you have time tell, us about it.
How complete was the kit?
How hard was it to install and how long it took?
Actual differences you have seen with it?
Any dyno runs?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Brian_B

BTW: I was looking at those pics earlier today. They were linked somewhere.

Interstate said:
Did EE ever finish their V6 supercharger? I've seen it in the final stages for quite a while now...

There's only a handfull around. They're not producing them anymore from what I know of.

They have the X-charger for the 4.0 SOHC on their website. :thumbsup: I don't see anything for the OHV though.

Brian_B said:
If you have time tell, us about it.
How complete was the kit?
How hard was it to install and how long it took?
Actual differences you have seen with it?
Any dyno runs?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Brian_B

BTW: I was looking at those pics earlier today. They were linked somewhere.

Absoutley i'll take sometime to explain.

#1: The kit came with EVERYTHING, and i mean everything you'd need to install. Blots, adapters, gaskets and a very extensive intructions manual.

#2: The kit was fairly easy to install besides getting the 2 back bolts in as it's real tight against the firewall. The truck was in the garage for a week, but we only worked on it for 2 days. While installing some of the stock ford parts needed to be replaced due to their age. The boots at the bottom of the fuel injectors and a fuel line had to be replaced. So we spent more time waiting for Ford to get the parts in than anything else. I'd say a total of 10-12hrs.

#3:The differences are night and day. We G-Teched the explorer with about 500 extra LBS in it and got a 14.7 1/4 mile @ 98mph and a 0-60 time of 6 secs.

#4: No dyno runs yet, we don;t have an abundance of them around, so it's a couple hour drive. Once the nicer weather comes and my full 3" exhaust gets welded up i'll take the trip!

Let me know any other questions!!

Chris

h0twh3els said:
#3:The differences are night and day. We G-Teched the explorer with about 500 extra LBS in it and got a 14.7 1/4 mile @ 98mph and a 0-60 time of 6 secs.

HOLY HELL!!! :eek: I think that's freekin' fantastic for a 2 1/4 ton vehicle. I gotta go look at EE right now.

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to type it up. I have done a lot of reading recently and this seemed like a good "kit" compared to others where you had to buy this an that to get it all together. Its great to hear from someone who actually has it though. Now I just need a lot of cash. :D

I was hesitant at first, but i'm certainly glad i bought the kit. I put a LS in the rear, have a few more upgrades to do, but the thing is a lot more fun to drive.... And nothing beats stomping on and watching some punks eyes go the size of half dollars... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the factory LS already with 4.10 gears. My X is completely stock as I just bought it in January. I am seriously thinking about this. I will start adding to my X fund now. My house should be paid off with the next payment. :) :thumbsup:

Just a few more questions at the moment.

Does it force air into the engine at all times or can you turn it off?

I know its a dumb question (Its mine), but I am not the only one who drives this and I don't want someone else wrecking it.

What did it do to your normal fuel mileage?

Lowered it I know, but how bad?

Anything else you can think of to add would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Brian_B

Back