Ticket for accelerating too fast with my 35s and stock gears | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticket for accelerating too fast with my 35s and stock gears

I think I killed this thread :( sorry.

I would fight it if I were you. I had found at one time an interesting website. Don't have it anymore but here is what I remember....

Before you go to court prepare. Try to remember every little detail, details count when you have more then the officers. Ask to see his radar gun, tuning fork, and the schedule from where he should 'according' to experts tune it between every car he radars. Ask how much training he received on using his radar gun, Police officers are required to take so many hours of classroom training on how to use, tune, and maintain the radar gun. Find out the amount of time your state requires for this.

I can't remember anything else at this time, but check out these websites for more useful information if your planning on fighting it which I would do.

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/traffic_tickets/speeding_ticket.html

http://www.blurofinsanity.com/Speeding.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a ticket like this when i owned my RX7. It was 4th of July night around 2 in the morning and i was following my buddy who was in a dump truck (F550) to drop it off at his dads shop. We used it earlier in the night for picking up fire wood for the fire pit he has. He was infront of me and we accelarated from the light. I kept it slow and low RPM since the RX was loud after 4 grand and the BOV would also set alarms off. I was pulled over after the light (around 250 meters) and was asked how fast i was going. I told him 30 (40 MPH Zone). The officer asked me if i was drinking and i told him no my buddy in the passenger seat was. Asked me to step out and he used a meter which showed up as 0% BAV. He asked to see inside of the car which i allowed him because i had nothing to hide. While he was doing this i was explaining where i was going and what i was doing. He seemed mad that nothing was out of the ordinary. I received a ticket for accelarating too quickly and exhibition of speed. Lucky this was all recorded with my buddys cell phone. Charges were dropped when i went to court even with the officer in the court room. I lived that small town (laghorne PA) most of my life and never had a problem. Some officers are like that and will do anything to target a make or model of car or even a discription of a person. I have gotten pulled over since then but it has not been for a ticket just to ask questions about the car or motorcycle (i drive a supermoto).

I would fight it but be professional about it and if the officer talks to you before the actual viewing in front of the judge you may be able to get it lowered or even dropped.

Jon

that sucks. i got a careles driving ticket the other night for driving up on a pile of gravel once and then leaving.

I really get sick of hearing people complain about the cops being pricks for doing their job. I'll admit, sometimes they are idiots and just need something to do, but if you're speeding, you deserve a ticket, if your exhaust is louder than legal, you deserve a ticket, if your rig isn't street legal, you deserve a ticket.

Know your local traffic laws. I carry a copy of the Highway Traffic Act in my glove box just in case I run into a cop with an attitude. I know my rig is legal in every sense of the word. I also know that if I speed, or break the law in any way, it is their JOB to catch me and tell me not to. If you don't like the law, fight to have it changed but you still have to abide by it in the meantime.

As far as a quota goes, I have asked the question many time. The local law enforcement basically looks at it this way. If you are not handing out 2 or 3 tickets a day, your not doing your job because you probably see a LOT more violations than that. They let a lot slide. I don't think they should. No one takes responsibility for their decsions anymore. No, an 18 yr old shouldn't get off just cause they are "young and dumb"...they should be slapped hard, fined, and learn from the mistake. Hard to learn if you never get punished.

I really get sick of hearing people complain about the cops being pricks for doing their job. I'll admit, sometimes they are idiots and just need something to do, but if you're speeding, you deserve a ticket, if your exhaust is louder than legal, you deserve a ticket, if your rig isn't street legal, you deserve a ticket.

Know your local traffic laws. I carry a copy of the Highway Traffic Act in my glove box just in case I run into a cop with an attitude. I know my rig is legal in every sense of the word. I also know that if I speed, or break the law in any way, it is their JOB to catch me and tell me not to. If you don't like the law, fight to have it changed but you still have to abide by it in the meantime.

As far as a quota goes, I have asked the question many time. The local law enforcement basically looks at it this way. If you are not handing out 2 or 3 tickets a day, your not doing your job because you probably see a LOT more violations than that. They let a lot slide. I don't think they should. No one takes responsibility for their decsions anymore. No, an 18 yr old shouldn't get off just cause they are "young and dumb"...they should be slapped hard, fined, and learn from the mistake. Hard to learn if you never get punished.

hey buddy i got no problem with cops. i am a sheriffs posse member so i am a cop when in uniform.

I totally understand that, this was not aimed at the OP in any way. Not really aimed at anyone in particular. Just a rant inspired by this thread... no offence intended

It was New Year's Eve, Colorado Bl, Pasadena, Ca. (Rose Pararde Route for those in the dark). Zukman was in his early 20's His best friend asked him if he would like to drive his car down the Boulvard. His answer was a very very big Hell ya! Sitting at the light, turns green, lets out the clutch, 50 feet of double scratch, smoke billowing(serious cloud bank) reached the otherside of the intersection at a blistering 20 mph! Now cops are everywhere on Colorado Bl New Years Eve got pulled over ticketed for speed and exhibiition.

Went to court Lady Judge (saw is life pass before him)
First thing she said "Speed and Exhibition, 50 feet of double scratch, impressive, 20 mph? DISSMISED!

what was he driving you ask?

A 1970 Dodge Hemi "Cuda"

No one takes responsibility for their decsions anymore. No, an 18 yr old shouldn't get off just cause they are "young and dumb"...they should be slapped hard, fined, and learn from the mistake. Hard to learn if you never get punished.

i completely agree with this. i lost my license for a month when i was 18 bc i got a +5mph speeding ticket while on court supervision for a severe speeding ticket(+30mph). the first ticket was a BS ticket because it was in the middle of the country and the speed limit changed to 25mph without a highly visible sign. i tried to fight it and get it knocked down to a 60 in a 55 but that didn't happen so i took the supervision option i was given. and the +5mph was a BS ticket also bc i was being passed by other cars when the officer decided to pull me over. since then i've only had two tickets and only one was a moving violation. one was for not wearing a seat belt while trying to park my truck down town. and the other was another +5mph while being passed by a couple of jackass doing over 60mph in a 45 zone.

one example of why being harsh on someone doesn't work though is my little brother. he's only 19 and has lost his license twice. once for 3 months and now he is currently without a license for a year. we were talking about him not having a license a couple weeks ago and i asked him if he's learned his lesson and he said "yeah, don't get caught next time." i responded with how about don't do stupid sh*t in the first place.

I don't know if it has been stated already, but if you take it to Court you can have it dismissed due to the misspelling on it. Look up the ordinances in the area you were ticketed. In almost all areas it would be an "unlawful exhibition of speed" as the offense. This covers just about everything including peeling out from a light.

Edit: Just realized this is a 2y/o thread.... Who's been digging?

that really stinks man... when my brother got tboned by some lady who was backing up in an intersection and the cop almost gave him a ticket for "swooping" in an intersection. swooping? wtf?

Swooping in an intersection is simply changing lanes while in an intersection. Almost everywhere that I know of it's a traffic violation to change lanes in an intersection.

No, an 18 yr old shouldn't get off just cause they are "young and dumb"...they should be slapped hard, fined, and learn from the mistake. Hard to learn if you never get punished.

Harder to trust cops when you've been nailed for petty crap without ever getting a break...

You fail to mention that cops lie. We hear about it practically every day in the national news of how cops lie and back up their "brothers in blue". Can't win against a lying cop in court unless you happen to have a video or audio recording. Just because you don't have video doesn't mean the cop didn't lie.

Both my wife and I have been victimized by lying cops. The incidents seem to be anything, but few and far between. It happens all the time and unless we run video at all times in our vehicles we have no way to prove it to the courts.

IMO the best way to deal with cops, is to not have to deal with them at all. "Fly low and avoid the radar" is a slogan to live by.

Yes, they do have "minimum numbers" IE quotas

I looked online, everyone says as long as you didn't: spin the tires (impossible to do in this thing), weeve in and out and around traffic (it was a one lane highway and I was the only car both directions), or we're racing against another car (again, I was the only car); to fight the ticket and it'll get dropped. There is no law that constitutes accelerating to fast as a violation, if I spun the tires or were "racing" against another car or around cars then yes it's careless driving. But when me accelerating my 1994 Ford Explorer with a stock 0-60 of about 10 seconds and with 35" tires, I'm sure a corvette at 1/8 throttle will accelerate faster.

Ive kinda got a inside view here. In Nevada (I cannot speak for your State, but i bet its the same) its called exhibition of speed, or good ole reckless driving. And the posts are correct, you can accellerate as hard as you want, as long as your not spinning the rubber,and are in total control: IE. its not illegal. Some lower quality officers, ahem, will use an excuse like that if they cannot think of another reason to stop you. Most cops dont condone it, but it happens. Its like claiming your were speeding and "letting you off" with a seatbelt cite. Its a bad ticket, from a poorly trained, or otherwise lazy officer. If your state allows you to defend yourself (not hiring some mouthpiece) or if you can afford and no a good attorney, then fight it, its a bs scratch.

Ah, and as far as questioning the officer? Please, remember, You can question the officer all you want in court. If you are stopped by a "loose cannon", dont. Im not saying kneel down, or kiss anything. Im saying if you have a wing nut, and yes they are out there, You will do NO ONE especially yourself any service by antagonizing him/her. Keep notes, time date who what where. Who witnessed the stop. What the officer said he stopped you for and what he cited you for. What was said, what was done. Write it down asap.
Its never fun getting a ticket, but acting like a jackass, especially if YOU DID IT; isnt going to help. And a fifty foot scratch to 20mph? Yeah, Id have written it too, I wouldnt have cared the speed, and yes, it was reckless whether or not the judge chose to enforce the law.

Rick, cmon, the cops have a job to do. Do you truly think the officers or the departments get one penny of that fine? Really?
Well let me enlighten you. If you receive a citation and pay it without going to court, IN NEVADA, 100% of the fine (not the court fees, those go to the court: duh) goes to the school district for the county the citation was written in. If you go to court and lose the fine goes to that court and the general fund of the state. NONE of it ever goes to the cops. If it did? the folks behind the desks would find a way to have a LOT more cops on the road. And no, it wouldnt be safe to drive.
I like to drive as nuts as anyone. But when im on a public road with kids and grandmas, I obey the traffic laws.
Remember this, If there is a law that is stupid? It was written to control a stupid person.

There are instances where an officers actions are questionable. We had a distinguished officer here a few years ago suddently resign after a investigation by Internal Affairs & Criminal Investigation Bureau (Detectives). The officer from what I read was entering the office of his wife illegally without cause. From what I heard the officer and his wife later divorced over his actions. Having friends in the department, I know it gave the department a black eye which they are still recovering from.

Off topic, but I find it funny that they can notify you that you are being recorded and video'd, but if you say "that's cool, so are you", you have somehow committed a crime.

lol nice point =p

Off topic, but I find it funny that they can notify you that you are being recorded and video'd, but if you say "that's cool, so are you", you have somehow committed a crime.

That is legal in Oregon last time I looked. You have to notify them right away, like they do when they first walk up. I've caught a few cops off guard with that one.

Cop: Hello sir, I'm xxxx xxxxx from the Bend Police Department and this conversation is being recorded. Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: Well sir, first I'd like to let you know you're being recorded as well, and no, I have no idea why you pulled me over.
Cop: :wtf: Ummm......

Its not only totally LEGAL, its a dang good idea.
too bad you cant record what the teacher is saying to your kids as well.

Back