Timing Belt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Belt

bigblueyes64

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello everyone, I'm new to the board. I have wanted an Explorer for some time and now I am looking at a 1997 One owner Explorer!! My question is the person who is selling states it has 81400 miles which he verified, but the timing belt has never been changed!! He states his mechanic at the dealership said the belt is still good. I thought it should be changed at 70000 miles. Am I right or wrong? Can the engine, which is the HO V-6, go near 100000 without a timing belt change? The seller has tons of receipts and has always dealt with the local Ford dealership for repairs and it's in great shape. I need some advice because I am going to talk to him again tomorrow. Is it OK without a timing belt change at 81400 miles? How much is it to change the timing belt? Should I worry that it hasnt been changed or am I OK? Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to this forum! It has a timing chain, not a belt. Does it rattle? There is a TSB on this, but it's for the newer versions: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163298

TSB 02-7-6 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Engine - 4.0L SOHC - Rattle noise from primary chain drive area between 2K-3K RPM - Cold engine operation only.

*Noise - Rattle noise from primary timing chain drive area between 2K-3K RPM - Cold engine operation only - vehicles equipped with 4.0L SOHC Engine only.

Ford: 99-02 Explorer, 01-02 Sport Trac, Explorer Sport, Ranger
Mercury: 99-02 Mountaineer.

My 97 OHV (overhead valve = pushrod) 4.0 has over 119k miles on the original timing chain. No engine problems so far. The OHV engines have a good reputation for reliability.

If the Explorer you are considering buying has the SOHC (single overhead cam) 4.0, then you should check to make sure the service campaign 00M12 was done on it; the early SOHC engines had some timing chain issues and the 00M12 service was the fix for those engines. 97 was the first year for the SOHC engine.

Back