1996 ford explorer eddie bauer 2wd 4.0 oil pan gaset replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 ford explorer eddie bauer 2wd 4.0 oil pan gaset replacement

whuzit

Reaction score
City, State
Norman Park,Ga 31771
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 ford explorer
I have searched this site and several others looking for answers about oil pan gasket replacement on my 96 Eddie Bauer 2wd 4.0 OHV oil pan gasket replacement and find NOTHING on my( this) particular explorer...Oil pan is leaking and need to replace the gasket..EVERY where I look it is said to pull or raise the engin..I dont see it on mine..There is 7-8 inch clearence up front ( of engine) from the bottom of the pan to the X member where the pan can drop straight down..My pan is the 1 piece cast aluminum..Every thing I find is for 4wd and 5.0 assembly's. I will have to remove the starter and maybe the power steering cooler undo some tranny fluid lines but other than that It is a wide open space..Took it to the ford dealer and they scratched their heads as to how much room there was but still said to raise or pull the engine..If the pan has to be moved backward( towards rear of vehicle) because of the pickup tide I could see removing the tranny(way easier)..If any one has PARTICULAR EXPIERENC ON THIS SPACIFC VEHICLE IT WILL BE A GREAT HELP TO ME AND OTHERS..IF pictures are neededI will gladly post some..Thanks

PICTURES HAVE BEEN POSTED.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have answers / help for you but on side note your 96 did not come with the SOHC....is yours a 97 that was manufactured in late 96?
The 4.0 SOHC was first available in '97
I think the 4WD's (like mine) you have to lift the engine up a bit... someone will chime in soon no doubt to answer your question...but please confirm if your 4.0 is the OHV (EFI embossed) or the SOHC with year, aforementioned discrepancy cleared up...

I don't have answers / help for you but on side note your 96 did not come with the SOHC....is yours a 97 that was manufactured in late 96?
The 4.0 SOHC was first available in '97
I think the 4WD's (like mine) you have to lift the engine up a bit... someone will chime in soon no doubt to answer your question...but please confirm if your 4.0 is the OHV (EFI embossed) or the SOHC with year, aforementioned discrepancy cleared up...
It is the OHV 4.0..My bad

It's been a while since I dropped my oil pan but if my memory is good I was able to undo all the bolts holding oil pan on, drop it down and removed the two bolts holding the oil pump and removed oil pan and pump. To install move oil pan, (with gasket), and pump into position, mount oil pump and install pan.
Don't remember if I had to remove anything else to drop pan.

It's been a while since I dropped my oil pan but if my memory is good I was able to undo all the bolts holding oil pan on, drop it down and removed the two bolts holding the oil pump and removed oil pan and pump. To install move oil pan, (with gasket), and pump into position, mount oil pump and install pan.
Don't remember if I had to remove anything else to

Sorry for late reply ..Thanks for you help..I have posted pictures of the oil pan and any thing that could be in the way of removing it..The 1st and 7th pictures are of the front of the pan..It is 51/2 inches above the rack and pinion..That is the shallow end of the pan at front of engine..If any one has knowledge or experience as to way it can or cant be removed without jacking the enginine it would be appreciated..

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

Sorry for late reply ..Thanks for you help..I have posted pictures of the oil pan and any thing that could be in the way of removing it..The 1st and 7th pictures are of the front of the pan..It is 51/2 inches above the rack and pinion..That is the shallow end of the pan at front of engine..If any one has knowledge or experience as to way it can or cant be removed without jacking the enginine it would be appreciated..

View attachment 340701

View attachment 340702

View attachment 340703

View attachment 340704

View attachment 340705

View attachment 340706

View attachment 340707
Did you ever get it done? Did you have to jack it up or did you get it out without? The pan for mine is leaking just above the bell housing for the tranny so I’m trying to figure out how to get this job done

Are you sure it is not the rear main seal?

I the thread above another 96 rwd owner said they were able to remove the pan and oil pump together with engine in the truck.

Very interesting! I have never tried this method.
I responded to your other thread and recommended that you pull the engine to replace the oil pan gasket

Back