timing chain tensioners | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

timing chain tensioners

I was thinking of replacing the two tensioners every 75K or so as a preventative measure; with your advice, I plan to wait until the noise appears. Hope it won’t show up with my routine change of oil and oil filters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's my preventative maintenance: I'm planning to pull the engine on my '10 explore this summer when it's warm outside and replace all timing chain components, front and back, with Cloyes or Motorcraft parts @ 160k miles. Tensioners alone are a bandaid; won't avoid a catastrophic fail.

I have a backup vehicle and will take my time with the repair. Hope to lure a skilled buddy over with some bourbon or Scotch to help with the tough parts.... Worth it to get another 150k miles or so out of this vehicle, which I love for it's utility (3 rows for when the grandkids visit; awesome snow and 4wd trail performance; great stuff hauler with roof rack, trailer hitch, and loads of cargo room).

I plan to take the rear tensioner out and feel if it’s still solid. If not, I’ll replace it.

Though this car has given me the most problems (among the cars I have), I love it more and more, because I think I have known it well now. More importantly, I have learned how to repair and maintain a car!

Changed mine at 130000 miles.
Broken plastic guides and leaking tensioner plungers.

Using only OEM timing parts.

Changed mine at 130000 miles.
Broken plastic guides and leaking tensioner plungers.

Using only OEM timing parts.

Front or rear? How much does it cost?

Sorry no engine description at thread title

V8 has only a front side timing mechanism.

Costed about 1500 bucks including oem parts and tools needed for this job.

Front or rear? How much does it cost?
i assume you have the sohc as you are askingg sbout hydralic tensioners and rear chans... for me to do the front primary chain guides and the hydraulic tensioners, not doing ghe valve cover chains or the rear chain, it cost me maybe 500-600 bucks iirc... also replacd alot of random stuff around that time so maybe cost a bit more w tstat housing etc

The 4.0 engine needs to be removed.
Or the transmission needs to come out to replace the timing chains and tensioner.

The parts are expensive, better to let it blowup and get a used motor.

4.0 sohc Tensioners can be replaced without removing anything 02+

4.0 sohc Tensioners can be replaced without removing anything 02+

For clarity, We need to differentiate between the hydraulic tensioners (like a big bolt) that thread on engine OUTSIDE body, and the real tensioners INSIDE the engine. Which one do you refer to please? Thanks!

The 4.0 engine needs to be removed.
Or the transmission needs to come out to replace the timing chains and tensioner.

The parts are expensive, better to let it blowup and get a used motor.

We are thinking of replacing the HYDRAULIC TENSIONERS as a preventative measure, instead of the real tensioners inside the engine.

For clarity, We need to differentiate between the hydraulic tensioners (like a big bolt) that thread on engine OUTSIDE body, and the real tensioners INSIDE the engine. Which one do you refer to please? Thanks!
the hydraulic , as for any of the inside tensioners/guides need the front cover remove, so im assuming hydraulic

Both hydraulic tenisnors can be replace easily. No engine removal.
That's like a 30 min job.

If your going to do any work on guides or chains the engine needs to come out.

Yes, just spent $100 on two brand new OEM hydraulic tensioners; they have made my v6 quiet than ever!

Hope the guides/cassettes can last at least 200K. We’ll see.

Yes, just spent $100 on two brand new OEM hydraulic tensioners; they have made my v6 quiet than ever!

Hope the guides/cassettes can last at least 200K. We’ll see.
Great
Its nice ant it

Back