• Register Today It's free!

Tires for a 2" suspension lift.

DesertRatSV

Reaction score
City, State
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006, Explorer, XLT
I live in Southern Arizona, and spend most of my days exploring desert roads, if you can call them roads, and driving up in the mountains. I desperately need some extra clearance, so I'm going to be giving "Ruby" a 2" suspension lift this weekend. I have the 16" tires on her now, but I want to switch to a bigger tire. This is only my second lift project, so I wanted to kmow what shoes would best fit her with a 2" suspension lift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to verify, this is a 4th gen Explorer (2006-2010) yeah? I personally put some oversized tires on mine and was able to fit 265/70/17, which converts to a 265/75/16, with very minor rubbing on the plastic wheel liner at full lock. I however did put a 2.5 inch front lift and 1.75 inch rear lift on mine and now it doesn't really rub as much unless its full lock and slightly loaded on like a curb or driveway. I went with the Traxxas lift kit and they said it can fit 33 inch tires with the provided kit, but take it with a grain of salt to rubbing as 265/70/17 or 265/75/16 come out to just under 32inch overall depending on tire brand.

Here is a picture of mine lifted on those tires

Mounty Lift Side.jpg

Just to verify, this is a 4th gen Explorer (2006-2010) yeah? I personally put some oversized tires on mine and was able to fit 265/70/17, which converts to a 265/75/16, with very minor rubbing on the plastic wheel liner at full lock. I however did put a 2.5 inch front lift and 1.75 inch rear lift on mine and now it doesn't really rub as much unless its full lock and slightly loaded on like a curb or driveway. I went with the Traxxas lift kit and they said it can fit 33 inch tires with the provided kit, but take it with a grain of salt to rubbing as 265/70/17 or 265/75/16 come out to just under 32inch overall depending on tire brand.

View attachment 449728
Dude, I freaking love the blackout look!! Thanks for the advise, much appreciated.

View attachment 449728
Out of curiosity, this is the TRX-4 long arm kit?

Out of curiosity, this is the TRX-4 long arm kit?
Haha I did not even realize my spelling mistake, I meant to say it was Traxda's Spacer Lift kit, just simple welded spacers that bolt on top of the struts and into the towers, it is kit number #102010 which is 2.5" front and 1.25" rear. Took about 5 hours to install but I live in Michigan and rust is a factory equipped option. Traxda and Truxxx(Who I actually bought through) run the same kit number, but I havent had any problems with the kit besides causing pre mature wearing on a couple parts like UCAs, granted they do have around 40k miles on them.

Haha I did not even realize my spelling mistake, I meant to say it was Traxda's Spacer Lift kit, just simple welded spacers that bolt on top of the struts and into the towers, it is kit number #102010 which is 2.5" front and 1.25" rear. Took about 5 hours to install but I live in Michigan and rust is a factory equipped option. Traxda and Truxxx(Who I actually bought through) run the same kit number, but I havent had any problems with the kit besides causing pre mature wearing on a couple parts like UCAs, granted they do have around 40k miles on them.
Are you using OEM coil springs with the lift kit or did you get after market ones?

Back