034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gil, shut-up trying to pretend you don't know what your taking about...

Your just mad cuz mine's gonna be more bad-ass than yours.

O btw, I'm 4-linking the rear end...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hey J, i need you to check something. I've heard rumors(on pirate) about the 4340 yukon stubs being a little longer than the stock stubs. Guy's running the 4340 Yukons and warn prems are having problems with the stubs contacting the inside of the lockouts and halfway engaging them while driving on the street eating up the hubs. I meant to tell you this yesterday before you got it all together but the phones didn't like to co-operate. This needs to be checked out before you get it out on the road and eating up a new hub.

Some of the guy's have shaved a hair off the stubs and had them re-rolled. I mean were talking about a 1/8" or 1/16", just enough to cause problems.

most of the guy's are running the 8-lug conversions, but some are still 5-6 lug, but its still something to check on.

Reggie

they mean nothing... they are of no value.
you can ship the 9" to
Ryan Gab
Castle Rock, CO 80104
so you can get that floor cleaned up

:p

rino351 said:
they mean nothing... they are of no value.
you can ship the 9" to
Ryan Gab
Castle Rock, CO 80104
so you can get that floor cleaned up

:p

wow you guys are so friendly on this board!!!

I'll tell you what, I live in fort collins and we can just meet up when i drive down to pueblo one weekend and i will buy you a steak for lunch for being so generous...

:confused:

and jey, when did you plan on four linking the rear?!?! youre ging to use coils?! honestly, i think that you should scrap that whole idea and run some chebbie springs like me. youve seen my poser flex shots and the springs weren't near the amount of droop they have the potential to be i juat have a crappy selection of bumpstops and short shocks...

where the fawk have been? i havent seen you on AIM??

supergildo said:
wow you guys are so friendly on this board!!!

I'll tell you what, I live in fort collins and we can just meet up when i drive down to pueblo one weekend and i will buy you a steak for lunch for being so generous...

:confused:
I do what I can. ;)

where you at in ft collins?

supergildo said:
OOOOH. ok. out of curiosity, i have theses thign lying around in my garage, and im curious is i could use them in such a project.

fd69sk.jpg

my grandpa says they are a high pinion dana 44 and ford 9 inch. what does this mean? ;)

smartass, it means resize your pics

Got the axle mounted on the truck and the tires, and it's sitting on its own weight.

I had alcan design the spring for my hanger lengths and shackle length, the springs are still too long for a 2" shackle. I need 2 factory ranger shackles if anyone has them, that I can have for free.

ab231a39.jpg

d08d30e9.jpg

e3cc7a3c.jpg

supergildo said:
and jey, when did you plan on four linking the rear?!?! youre ging to use coils?! honestly, i think that you should scrap that whole idea and run some chebbie springs like me. youve seen my poser flex shots and the springs weren't near the amount of droop they have the potential to be i juat have a crappy selection of bumpstops and short shocks...

where the fawk have been? i havent seen you on AIM??

I thought about it, but the tank is waaayyy in the way and I don't want to fawk with it.

Gil, you HAVE to send me your stock shackles! For free i need them! (this will make up for the steering shaft ;))

haha I would love to but they are in use :*(

make up for the steering shaft? i was offering to buy people food for use of their parts and no one would follow through...

my bad...

also about the tank, i did the swap by myself in a few hours with the tank in the way. its pretty simple ou just need to call smeone over with tiny fingers...

nappahdog said:
flex shots?

lol he hasnt attched any of the steering, nor the fron DS the rear end is missing and you want flex shots already?

LMAO

patience my son...

;)

btw have you made any progress on said steering shaft?

also, you need to get online. we need to talk...

034x4 said:
I need 2 factory ranger shackles if anyone has them, that I can have for free.
I have two. If you become an elete member of this site I will eat the cost of shipping them to you (ground of coarse). Or I will sell them to you $40 (shipped ground) and then send $30 to Rick to make my membership 3 years longer and use $10 to help cover the shipping. Also the bushings in them are a bit worn seeing how they are 12 years old.

Made some purchases/placed some orders today.

Factory ranger shackles for front springs.
63" Chevy springs and shackles for the rear.
4runner steering shaft so I can finally make one.
Full detroit for the 8.8. Thanks Classic City Off-Road.
Superior chromo's with 6x5.5 flange w/lugs for rear. Thanks dutchman motor sports.

Steering box isn't finished and my PSC ram didn't come in either.

034x4 said:
Steering box isn't finished and my PSC ram didn't come in either.

So does this mean your not going to be working on it today?

If i was working on it, i would be cutting and moving the spring perches forward for the chevy springs. But i'm driving g/f to class in a half-hour, workin out, then goin to jonathans to help bolt everything up in the rear to see what all we need to move or if its in the right place.

Tomorrow i'll be working on the spring swap, shackle hanger flip, and the 8.8 itself. Probably all day too.

I pulled out the too-short 2" shackles and threw in the JY shackles off a (ironically) mazda. Since i farked my stock ones up lol. It sits about 4" taller than when it had the 2" on there wrapped back onto the frame.

Chevies vs. Waggies

f9bdd8ab.jpg

Yota steering shaft and shackles.

9d42b463.jpg

Random, before the ranger shackles.

94c64574.jpg

You can kind of see how they wrapped back to the frame.

9df607c4.jpg

And at ride height front and rear with the 4.5" shackles.

04a53199.jpg

are you using the chevy springs in the back ? if so whats the length, what did they come off of and how much lift did it give you ? are you using different shackles in the back ?

They are '96 Chevy 1500 rear springs, 63" long

We had to move the front spring hanger forward ~4", flip the stock rear spring hanger, cut some for the sahckle clearance and used the stock rear Chevy shackle. with this setup it looks like maybe 4-5" of lift with the weight on the springs maybe. With as easy as it was to make fit on the ranger, i'm starting to get ideas with my explorer :eek:

J hurry up and post thoes pics from today!!!!

Back