• Register Today It's free!

To flush or not to flush

ktnj

Reaction score
City, State
Montville, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 4x4 4SOHC
I need to change my coolant. I'd like to flush the system out, but I am afraid that my tap water is going to introduce unwanted minerals (well water).

Am I better off just draining and refilling with coolant and demineralized water? Or should I just go for it and flush it first?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to change my coolant. I'd like to flush the system out, but I am afraid that my tap water is going to introduce unwanted minerals (well water).

Am I better off just draining and refilling with coolant and demineralized water? Or should I just go for it and flush it first?

thanks
When I did mine I drained all the old stuff out and filled it with straight distilled water and warmed it up, let it cool and drained that. I did this a total of three or four times until it came out almost pure water. Then I filled it with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled h2o.

When Then I filled it with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled h2o.

Thanks for the tip. That sounds like a safe bet. Is it possible to completely drain all of the leftover distilled h2o out before adding coolant? And if not, how do you know if you've got a 50/50 mix when you're done?

And if not, how do you know if you've got a 50/50 mix when you're done?

AF_tstr.jpg

ahh, yes. That looks like it should do the trick!! :banghead:

(thanks)

Back