• Register Today It's free!

Tonneau Cover Straps?

xtremeandrew

Reaction score
City, State
West Palm Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ExplorerTrac XLT 4x4
Just bought an awesome Black 2007 ExplorerTrac with the Ford OEM (I believe) folding Tonneau cover. It has bungy straps to secure(?) the tail part to the front part, but I'm not sure how this is supposed to secure the pieces in an open fashion?

I'd like to secure the tailgate part folded onto of the front part temporarily while I carry my "Longboards" sticking up and out of the tail of the bed with the tailgate up while crusing down the hwy at over 70mph. Not sure if this would be safe, or idiotic?

My alternatives are throwing "my boards" on top of the roof rack, or let the tailgate down and get a bed extender vs. having to take the cover off everytime the "surf's up!".

At other "opportunistic" times, I'd also like to sit my 200lb load in a beach chair on top of the completely installed Tonneau cover and soak up some rays, or scout some wild animals to stealthily pick off whille dressed in my Ninja suit. Though that too may sound "idiotic", the Tonneau cover seems thick and sturdy enough for that, yes?

Thanks ya'll!

The bungies only work with the bed hold downs on the side of the truck.

I flipped my tonneau cover over when I hauled my snowboards all winter without strapping any part of anything down and got along fine, mind you my snowboards were 5' long, not sure how long a longboard is...

hold downs for the bungees. That cover seems strong, i've had two people up there combined over 200lbs.

Back