• Register Today It's free!

top speed in 4º?

Leford

Reaction score
City, State
paraguay
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer sport 92
Time ago I asked here about the top speed of the 1992 explorer sport.
In that topic; flgatorz10 said "...You guys have seemed to have forgotten 5th gear is "overdrive", which was made for fuel economy. in a 5 speed, your top gear speed will be 4th gear, 99% of the time. This doesn't just apply to Explorers"....

Now I ask again (sorry for this)
1) Is that correct ? My top speed wil be in 4º?

My second question is different.

The previos owner of my explorer said to me that he broke two trannys M5R1... ever traveling after hours of high speed in OD (5º).

I broke one M5R1 one time too and in another travel I broke my OD.

His mechanic said him that his tranny was working with out oil (He said IMPOSIBLE)
When I broke my first M5R1 my mechanic said to me the same" your tranny was working with out oil" ... BUT that was impossible. I hav gas station and I do that work. the tranny dad more than 2.5 liters of mercon III Shell tx oil

When my OD (5º) brokes i was driving 3 hours at 85 miles/h (or more?). It happens to me in october 2002
Today nobody can explain to me why my OD brokes
When disarmed the tranny inside we founded 2.5 liters of oil

Can be Oil High Temperture my problem?

Thanks guys... and excuse my bad english

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most transmissions do not like heat, many people use transmission coolers

maybe im wrong but arent tranny coolers for automatic transmissions only usually?

I think this tranny just does not like high speeds. I think it has a hard time oiling, I drive mine at 80 almost all of the time and it usualy does ok. If I drive it 85 or higher for an extended period of time it won't shift good until it cools down again. I also run atf with lucas additive, all synthetic.

There are rubber plugs on the top of the 5spd that dry rot with age/heat and fall off, then you lose your fluid. You can view/access these plugs from inside the Ex. Recommended that they be replaced with metal caps.

More info can be found here - Dead Link Removed

Back
Top Bottom