Touch-up paint for aluminum wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Touch-up paint for aluminum wheels

mikeyl

Reaction score
City, State
Agawam, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited 4WD
Does anyone know where I can purchase touch-up paint for the standard painted aluminum wheels (not the polished wheels) that are standard on teh 2011 Explorer Limited. I scratched one and want to touchit up, not repaint it entirely. Tried local Ford where I purchased it, but they told me it's not available. Also tried online and local auto parts stores -- no success. Also, is there a special paint code for the wheels like there is for the body paint. I know the wheel paint needs to be a special paint so I can't use a silver body touch up paint.Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful and most apprecited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No you need to go to a rim shop but a pro rim shop and they can fix it !!! Don't do it your self let the pro's do it !!!!!

No you need to go to a rim shop but a pro rim shop and they can fix it !!! Don't do it your self let the pro's do it !!!!!
OK - thanks. I'll check that out. Appreciate the tip.

Grrrrrr...

Having driven real explorers since 1997 that are completely different in size & shape, I managed to slightly scratch a wheel on a curb that shouldn't have been there, and would like to touch it up as well. Ford just told me they have no touch-up paint for wheels. :(

PS- This is a 2012 Limited 4x4.. Need to change the profile

Hi,
First time poster here.
Proud owner of a 2014 Explorer limited . Was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what color code should i be looking for.
Wife just hit a curb and i will need to do a touch up.
Tried the local NAPA store, but it seems they can't find the color as there is no code available in their system.
I've got the ``20 inch wheels in silver.
Thanks

Welcome to the Forum musman.:wavey:
While the vehicle paint code is shown on your Explorer, the wheel paint code is not as far as I have been able to determine. I suggest contacting the dealer's body shop.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum musman.:wavey:
While the vehicle paint code is shown on your Explorer, the wheel paint code is not as far as I have been able to determine. I suggest contacting the dealer's body shop.

Peter

Thank you Peter,
My dealership has all of their body work done by third party collision center, so not sure if they do wheel repairs at all. Will check on Monday.

The 20's have clear coat on them. You will have to find a pro tire shop that repairs rims. I hit mine in the edge and a was able to buff it out with a dremel and then applied clear coat and so far so good but you must be very very careful.

Yes, I forgot to mention the clear coat. The 20" wheels are more prone to 'curb rash' and that is why I wished 18" were an OEM option on the Limited.

Peter

I went to PaintScratch.com and ordered a 2 oz bottle of Sparkle Silver M-6389 plus a 2 oz bottle of clearcoat. The paint was a perfect match for my 20" wheels. I still have over half of the 2 oz bottle and have used it numerous times.

There are mobile rim repair companies that come to you. I saw them refinish an entire car right in the parking lot at work. No overspray or runs. And the finish was impeccable As good as the original. They took out dings and scratches, repainted then clearcoated right there on the car without removing the wheels!

I went to PaintScratch.com and ordered a 2 oz bottle of Sparkle Silver M-6389 plus a 2 oz bottle of clearcoat. The paint was a perfect match for my 20" wheels. I still have over half of the 2 oz bottle and have used it numerous times.

Thanks for the info, just wondering if the wheels were the same color/ style back in 2011 ! :scratch:

I'd just leave them alone for the time being. I guarantee you will put more curb rash on your rims in the future. I have a couple spots that will be ignored for the time being.

Wondering if anyone knows the paint code or if the paint is available for the 20” Limited Wheels in the 2016 package. Picked up a set of the wheels but they’re scratched from take-off

Thanks!

Wondering if anyone knows the paint code or if the paint is available for the 20” Limited Wheels in the 2016 package. Picked up a set of the wheels but they’re scratched from take-off

Thanks!
Have you contacted your dealer's parts department? Check out post #10.

Peter

I have searched in vain for the color code for the painted part of the 2017 stock Platinum wheels. I have one that is peeling and I would like to repaint it, but I have not had any luck finding the color code.

Does anyone know?

Welcome to the Forum Bob. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one on a similar topic. See post #10. Is it really peeling or "spidering" as shown here; Aluminum wheel corrosion - Spidering
Do you have any warranty left? If so, take it to the dealer to see what they say.

Peter

I just bought the Explorer last week. No warrantee on the wheels that I know of.
I don’t have spidering. Just some chips and missing paint along the spoke to outer rim junctions on one wheel. One I figure out the paint color I will respray that wheel. it should be an easy fix if I can just get the color code.
thanks for the help

bobby

I just bought the Explorer last week. No warrantee on the wheels that I know of.
I don’t have spidering. Just some chips and missing paint along the spoke to outer rim junctions on one wheel. One I figure out the paint color I will respray that wheel. it should be an easy fix if I can just get the color code.
thanks for the help

bobby
I was referring to the 3 year, 36k mile factory warranty. There are places that specialize in that sort of repair. Many members suggest having them do it as DIY repairs usually don't come out well.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the help

bobby
Any update on this as to paint code Bobby?

Peter

Back