Towing a 19' Rockwood RV with an 02 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing a 19' Rockwood RV with an 02 Sport Trac

Hi there.

I have a 4.0L 2002 2WD Sport Trac with a 4.1 rear dif and Class 3 hitch. Have towed 2000 lb tent trailer successfully for 3 years and am upgrading to a 19' Rockwood Roo Hybrid RV w/brakes. The trailer specs are 3300 lbs dry and 4600 lbs gross. I am expecting considerable wind resistance with this RV.

Any feedback from Sport Trac owners on towing RVs would be appreciated.

Best regards, R.
:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wind will definitely be a factor. I pulled a 22' self contained behind my Mounty, I could really tell when I was driving into a strong headwind.

Be sure you invest in some quality towing mirrors.

The good news is you have the right gearing to tow that trailer, I'd suggest a transmission temperature gauge and an extra cooler.

Thanks Evan. Good advice. What temp range was your tranny oil at pulling that 22 footer and what kind of auxillary transmission oil cooler do you (or did you) have?

Regards, Ron

Mine has the 5.0 and 4R70W trans, it is different than yours, I saw temperatures around 280 occasionally going up big hills. An that is running the stock cooler only.

Yours has a dramatically different transmission, heat kills it. You could add a spin on filter while you were at it for good measure.

Also invest in a quality weight distribution hitch, it will help greatly with sway caused by wind.

I pull a 26 foot t.t.,4600 pounds, and I don't have any problem. I do have the weight disb. hitch along with a sway bar. although gas millage is in the gutter. the 4.0 has fantastic power for pulling in any situation.

Thanks Niterider. Any special mods, such as a transmission cooler, or has running stock been ok?

you won't win any drag races, but you should be fine as long as you don't overload it, and have a properly set up weight distribution/sway control.
I tow a 21 foot Crossroads Sunset trail, it's about 4,800 lbs ready to camp, and I can still cruise at 70mph, although fuel economy drops somewhere around 8-10 mpg, so I try to tow at 60 or so.

I personally can recommend the Equalizer weight distribution hitch and Tekonsha Prodigy brake controler.

I figgure when your towing nearer to the limit of the vehicle, you might as well equip your vehicle the best you can.

mine came stock with a trans. cooler and power sterring cooler. but if you don't have a trans. cooler, get one and hook it up. its a must when pulling with the truck.

Even if you have the factory cooler, get another one. As large as you can, and run it inline with the factory. The v6 trannies are anemic, that's a big load, and one good overheating will toast a 5r55e. Cooler now, or rebuild later. How does the rear of the truck sit unloaded? Some add-a-leafs, or an air ride kit may be in order as well.

Thanks again for the advice guys. The truck has performed well thus far with a Reese load levelling hitch/sway control system (bar type, no chain) and TCI 24,000 GVW transmission cooler. The V6 generated sufficient power to move well up hills and in a reasonably strong headwind (60 mph at about 3000 rpm, OD off). McKesh Towing mirrors were definitely needed to see along the sides of the trailer. The narrow body of the Sport Trac relative to the 8' width of the trailer my biggest issue so far.

Best regards all and hope you had a good Memorial Day Weekend.

Ron

I too use the Mckesh mirrors and Prodigy brake control. I have a 29500 BTU B&M trans cooler inline with the factory cooler and a themostat. I've never seen above 220 degrees on the output side, even pulling long Oregan hills at 70 mph. My input side runs about 65 degrees cooler. At 11500lbs GCVW and 70mph I only get 7.5 MPG but she pulls OK and is still surviving.

Hey Joe. Thanks for the feedback. Happy towing.

R.

I'm thinking about buying a sport trac but want to get some extending mirrors that would replace its existing mirrors- like the ones on the F150 or? I saw some Ford mirrors that you can extend manually with no electric controls. Has anybody done this?

It would be much better than the CIPA/McKesh mirrors I'm using on my 2000 Ranger when I tow my travel trailer

Cindy H, I deleted your other post- it was exactly the same as this one.

Unfortunately, there is little towing support from the aftermarket for RBV's. I looked and looked for towing mirrors for mine, nobody made any when I was looking. That has been several years, but I haven't seen any new developments, I think mostly because few people tow wide travel trailers with ST's and Rangers.

Back