towing a 24' camper | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

towing a 24' camper

I finally have my new battery and starter in my '02 Explorer 4.6L. Now, I am purchasing a 24' camper trailer. It is a Zepplin (by Keystone) LWT. I have checked the trailer and vehicle specs, and I am good on weight. I am ordering trailer brake control tomorrow. Question is, has anyone actually pulled a similar camper with a similar vehicle? I won't be towing it that often, and definitely not in any hurry, mostly down state roads and lower. It does have a weight distributing hitch and anti-sway conrtol too. Thanks for any input!!!

We pull a 23' Hybrid with no problems

Bought this trailer last summer and drove home to NJ from NH... The X did fine. I do not have WD hitch for it yet but will add before towing this year.

Does your X have the trailer tow package? Mine does which adds trans cooling which I have read can cause problems if you do not have with larger trailers.

My biggest need is trailer mirrors too so I can see behind the trailer . Previous we had an Expedition with Coleman popup and did not need the mirrors, now think I would like them.

Happy Camping!

Thanks for the input! I towed the camper about 5 miles home and seemed to do fine. Haven't taken it out yet, but hopefully it will do okay. And yes, I have the tow package and the 3.73 rear end. Our first trip will be about an hour away to see how she does.

I know this is a bit late, but my explorer does just fine towing a 21 foot camper that weighs around 4,500 lbs. We too need tow mirrors, but those that I've found so far vibrate so much they are useless while going down the road. Really makes me wish for a 09 f-150 with the factory extendable tow mirrors.

Before I bought my Excursion I towed home an empty 31 BHDS 40 miles with no problems except rear end sag WITH the weight distr hitch.

Back