Towing an explorer with an explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing an explorer with an explorer?

Hey all,
I might be picking me up a project; a 2000 Ford Explorer for a rediculously cheap price. It has an issue or two. The main one which makes it non drivable is the fact that the coolant is dumping into the oil.
So, I want to know if my 05 Explorer V6 could handle towing a 2000 Explorer 4wd V6.

My truck is a V6 with the Class III hitch; 3.55 differential.

I'd at least be doing 125 miles with the explorer on there. I'd predict 10-25 miles (at most) would be some uphill. Avg speed would be anywhere from 40-60 miles per hour.

Good Idea or no?

and Yes I would keep the truck out of overdrive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First you need to remove the rear and front shafts...

I don't know if you have the supplemental transmission cooler... that uphill might be problematic, if you can stop right after that some 15-30 minutes to let the transmission cool would be great.

Anyway, use a traction BAR, not a chain/rope.

Maybe an idea to hire a vehicle trailer for the day?

Get a tow dolly and remove driveshafts from vehicle being towed. Run with o/d off and keep it under 65 mph and you will be just fine. Stop for a break half way to stretch your legs and let the truck cool a little if your worried about it.

I might be needing to tow my EX(RWD auto) with a dolly. I'm driving out to possibly buy a motorhome and would like to pull the EX behind it should I buy it with the dolly.
What are the details in removing the drive shaft and how long does it take?
What about towing it with the rear wheels on the dolly and tying the steering wheel immobile with some rope? I know U-Haul wont rent a dolly to be used with the car backwards.
:feedback:

Back