Perry

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Loveland Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
My dad needs to put a trailer brake in his Excursion & I'm just wanting suggestions on what a good brand of trailer brake is?????

Someone suggested a Tekonsha Prodigy, my dad has a Tekonsha Voyager in his truck but it is really hard to set......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dad needs to put a trailer brake in his Excursion & I'm just wanting suggestions on what a good brand of trailer brake is?????

Someone suggested a Tekonsha Prodigy, my dad has a Tekonsha Voyager in his truck but it is really hard to set......

Prodigy all the way. I have had mine since 2002 in four different vehicles, and won't use anything else. It is a one time set up and then you can forget about it.

Michael, are they hard to install???

The trailer place here in town charged dad $40.00 a couple years ago to install the one in his truck......

I looked at the Excursion yesterday and all the wiring is at the back. It has a Ford hitch & I can see they used it a lot so I would think all the wiring is there.

Whoever had it before took the one that was in there along with the DVD player. They also must have had a security system in there because we found all kinds of wire ties & extra wires that had been cut.

They are super easy to install, the instructions are very clear. When I installed it in my old super duty I just used the universal harness that came with the controller and the harness from Ford that was in the truck. I joined to the two according to the instructions with the controller and plugged the ford harness into the plug under the dash. On my new Dodge, it is installed with the controller to truck harness from Tekonsha. It plugs directly into the controller and into the plug under the dash of my truck with no splicing needed. Tekonsha should offer the same harness for the Excursion to make it a plug and play kind of a deal.

If you don't want to do it yourself, I don't see $40 as being to much for it.

Michael, are they hard to install???

The trailer place here in town charged dad $40.00 a couple years ago to install the one in his truck......

I looked at the Excursion yesterday and all the wiring is at the back. It has a Ford hitch & I can see they used it a lot so I would think all the wiring is there.

Whoever had it before took the one that was in there along with the DVD player. They also must have had a security system in there because we found all kinds of wire ties & extra wires that had been cut.

Well I ordered a Prodigy today for my dad along with the wire harness that will just plug into the Excursions trailer package plug. We looked at his truck and it had the same plug & that is where they plugged that one in so we should be set to go.

They had a special with 2 day shipping so hopefully we will have it by the weekend so he can test it out pulling there camper to the mountains....

Back