• Register Today It's free!

Tranny leak?

jiimi

Reaction score
City, State
St. Mary's County, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 4door 4wd XLT
I recently move up to the mnts. to go off to college. The first day after i got up here i noticed a small puddle of fluid under my truck. I seemed to be leaking from where the oil pan and tourque converter meet. At least thats what i think it is, its not coming from the oil plug but that seam just infront of the oil pan. I checked the fluid levels and they seemed fine. I figured that it was just due to the 5 hour drive, in hot weather, and the steep mnt. hills were putting alot of strain on the tranny. ITs got 175000 miles on it, and has been having intermint trouble. I notice it was having prblems when in 3rd gear but when i stepped on it and down shifted it seemed fine. I only drive like 1 or 2 times a week and haven't had any problems for a few weeks, then yesturday i noticed an small drop of fluid. I don't think it is oil, cant quite tell if its got a reddish color or not. not A/C or other fluids. Pretty sure its the Tranny. Im figureing i need a rebuild soon. ALready lost OD. IS there any stop leak, or additive anyone recomends to extend the life just a bit longer? I had the tranny serviced just before i came up here. Any help? thnx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like your fluid was boiling over. I would see if you have a tranny cooler installed. if not install one and get some synthetic tranny fluid installed as it can stand up to higher stress without loosing it's working properties. Did you have a full tranny flush before you left for school? was it because of problems? I was told not to flush a tranny that is failing or it could cause a passageway to become blocked, making the tranny die faster. I flushed mine because I was having problems, then a week later the light started flashing and it was shifting wierd. I needed to get a rebuild installed.
Good luck to you! The best piece of advice I have is get an external tranny cooler installed and chenge the tranny fluid and filter as when it overheated the fluid may have burnt

overheated

Sounds like the fluid overheated and came out through the vent or the front seal. I would take it easy, and get a cooler if you dont have one, but its time for a rebuild I think. The trans is heating up for some reason- bands, clutches, may be cheaper now to have it rebuilt or replaced than waiting for it to die when you are on the road. 175,000 miles the tranny has had a good life. But Im afraid its time to rebuild.
Good Luck

Thanks for the help, i guess its good news and bad news. I know i need a rebuild, but unfourtunatly im on a limited budget, until the semester is over, so i am figureing if i just take it easy only puttin like 40 miles on it a week or so, it should last, specialy as it gets cooler. Ive done the math, and looked into gettin a small car. Other than my tranny my X is in great condition. The good news is, it doesn't sound like i have a major leak, or problem and will PROBABLY be ok drivin a few miles for now. The Bad news is i need a rebuild, which i figured. The reason i had it flushed is i had a rupter in the Modulator Vavle? somethin like that and was suckin tranny fluid up into the engine, when i had that fixed the guy suggested i get a tranny flush as well. I don't know if i have an ext. cooler, its the XLT model. I haven't added a cooler and i don't think the previous owner did. I might have one added when i get a rebuild. Thnx for the help. How much does having a cooler added cost? unfourtunatly i cant do the work myself anymore, no tools, or space to do it.

If you arent sure whether or not you have a tranny cooler, look at that EPA spec sheet with the mileage, whatever you call it. If it says towing package on it, then a tranny cooler came with it from the factory.

Back