• Register Today It's free!

Tranny problem

Big Turkey

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4.0 OHV Sport
Alright guys, I have this problem with my tranny. I believe I have the E40D tranny, (I have a 99 4.0 OHV sport, 5spd auto with electronic overdrive) Please tell me if this is normal or what. When I floor it around 20-30mph, I get no downshift power at all. It's so weak, I feel like my mom's 115hp Camry can eat it. Oh wait.. I believe it can. I raced my friend in a 90 accord at a 20 roll, and he kept up to about 90mph where we stopped. At a dead stop I kill him by at least a car and a half, maybe two cars. Is this just an Explorer weakness or is something wrong with my tranny?

Also, when I'm cruising about 40ish and I gun it, :shoot: there's this horrible horrible long lag time before my tranny downshifts. For instance, from the second I stomp it, I hear "grrr.." for about a full second, maybe two, before it downshifts and starts to move. Now that's terrible because I lose all of my street races that way. What's wrong with my SUV/tranny? I was told that it might be my sensors or something. But any help would be appreciative. Thanks everyone.

Wally

You actually have a 5R55E transmission. You have the OHV so it will feel sluggish when performance is critical to you. The 5-speed automatic is slow to downshift. The reason you don't get any downshift power at all from 20-30 is when you floor it from that speed, it only downshifts into 2nd as opposed to 1st. Put a Superchip in to improve the shifting of your transmission. It will shift right to the proper passing gear instead of going through 1 or 2 gears before it gets there. There isn't much you can do short of a supercharger that will give you the power you are looking for out of your OHV though.

Is there a shift kit for my tranny or anything that would beef the tranny up? I'm also looking for a torque converter.. but no luck at all. Yeah that makes sense, and I'm looking for a superchip right now, just don't know if I'm going to get a supercharger installed. Wouldn't nitrous give me great power gains almost as much as the supercharger?

Nitrous would give you power gains similar to a supercharger for much less money. The downsides are you have to mount the bottle somewhere, it only increases the power when it is activated and the more you use it, the more often you need to refill the bottle. Another possible downside is that if it isn't done exactly right or if a problem develops with it that isn't caught quick enough, you might end up shopping for a new engine.

I don't know of any shift kits for the 5-speed automatic.

Back
Top Bottom