Trans fluid change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans fluid change

tursky4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer
I have a 2004 xlt with the 5r55S.. i got the ex with about 90,000 almost a year ago now it has 108,000 it seems to be driving fine no OD flashes seems like it shifts a little weird sometimes no slippage or anything. could be just my imagination knowing that these are known for transmission problems.. my question is should i do a fluid and filter change or should i just leave well enough alone.. i dont want to cause any problems by changing the fluid

I was getting some trans issues, (slamming into gear, delays when going into reverse, etc.) at about 140K. I just drained, replaced the filter, and added back to full. (Don't forget truck must be running when you check for proper fluid level.)

All my problems went away.

Some have suggested draining and adding fluid several times to get rid of all the old fluid. (Each drain only removes part of the fluid.)

thanks i think i will try that then.. i wish these stupid things had a better way to do this job instead of plug... idk who decided that they dont need a dip stick but it seems nuts to me

Back