Solved - Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Welcome to this forum! That discrepancy has been discussed. Follow the specifications in the first post. The TransGo specifications are actually for a different model (probably the older C3). They have the same specifications printed in a lot of their tech diagrams.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It figures - slackers :( makes me hesitant to use their products. Anyway, can you elaborate on what too tight feels like and too loose feels like? Would too tight and too loose both cause slippping? I adjusted band, made flare worse, then backed out other 1/2 turn ( to fulll 2.0 turns ) then got back to original flare state, maybe slightly better. I guess real question is should I try backing off another 1/4 or 1/2 turn? what would repercussions of backing off too far be ? ( already replaced solenoids ) thanks again :)

I thought I'd add a big THANK YOU to the people that posted the fix in this thread.
I did the OD band adj with a HF torque wrench for 20 bucks. That was back in March. Trans has been working great ever since.
I wish I'd seen this thread before I got soaked last year by the tranny shop.

Ok, I did the band adjustment and a filter change on my 98 exp EB as well as a fluid and filter change. Now occasionally it will not shift out of first gear. Any suggestions on possibly moving the band adjustments one way or the other? Which band? Thanks in advance.

New on the forum and as Explorer owner. My transmission (by the VIN number) is supposed to be 4R70W. I have read here that there is no band adjustment for it. Is this correct?

HEY GUYS

may name is james berkey from nanaimo bc canada,
I was searching on how to do a band adjustment on google and got this sight.

I have a question

i own a 1984 ford ranger 2WD
it has a v6 2.8 and a C-3 auto (3spd) transmission
when i put it into D the transmission (off the line) is in first then shifts to 2nd at 80km then shifts to 3rd at 100km

i was told i need to adjust my band? i am not sure how to do this or if it is even the problem. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to do this and if it sounds like this is what the problem is.

C3
1980, and earlier models are turned back 1-1/2 turns.
1981, and later models are turned back 2 turns.

that doesn't help
back two turn from what

You need to torque the studs with a torque wrench before you could make any adjustments. The first post in this thread explains how this is done. You need a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench to torque the studs to 120 In/Lbs first. The lock nut on the stud needs to be loosened first, then locked into place after the stud is adjusted. The torque on the nut is 35-45 Ft/Lbs.

Guys,
I just joined this forum the other day. My tranny was slipping a bit and I was getting a P1762 code. My transmission experience is limited to changing fluid and filters.
After reading this thread, I got up the guts to attempt the band adjustments that were posted. Following Glacier's pics., it was a simple procedure.:)
I just got back from a test drive. It's never shifted so smoothly, and I didn't even know it had a 5th gear!
Runs great & no codes. You guys are the best!
One thing I'd like to ad that I didn't see mentioned anywhere; a dirty MAF sensor will not only throw 171 & 174 codes, but it can cause slippage between gears. I found this out through trial and error.
Again, thanks sooo much!:thumbsup:

I found a good parts list if anyone's interested: http://amtrans.nl/4R44E-_5R44E.pdf

Lee

I can't see how a dirty MAF could cause transmission slippage. None of the coding that I'm aware of is MAF (airflow) based. Most of it is throttle position, RPM, and MPH based.

My 03 V8 explorer has a very annoying habit of pausing just before the shift. I'm pretty sure it's just the torque reduction in the PCM (computer pulls timing before shifts, to reduce torque and prolong trans life). But it seems a bit excessive to me. I wouldn't think Ford would allow enough torque reduction to make such a noticeable pause. Do you guys with the 5r55 trannys notice this as well, or is there something wrong with my truck?

Is it possible for a shop to rebuild a transmission with a single wrap band instead of a double wrap? My truck is a 91 but the transmission has been rebuilt several times since then. I adjusted my band to 3.5 turns, but didn't notice any change (still no OD, fully expect it to be something more serious, but want to rule out the easy options first)

adjusted to 2 turns but made no difference. Its never an easy fix for me, but for 5 minutes worth of work, well worth a try!

When I replaced od planetary I removed locknut without changing where adjustment bolt was. So when I reinstalled I just tightened locknut back on tight. While driving in drive I experienced 2-3 flare and rough shifting. Then the tranny would not shift into 3rd. If I stopped and put in park then back to drive it would go to 35-40 mph then lose all tranny power, did that twice. Put it in 1st and 2nd and it drove fine and made it back home in 2nd. I think I may have overtightened locknut and adjustment. What kind of damage could I have caused? Could I just loosen adjustment/locknut and be fine? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I drove it around 40 miles with gear in drive (acting up). Then drove it a few miles in 2nd. If adjusting it doesn't work, would it be safe to drive it in 2nd gear (at a low speed) around 40 more miles to make it to my garage, where I could tear it down again. 1st and 2nd gear were operating perfectly.

Back