• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Failure ???!

CamDJClimited

Reaction score
City, State
Southampton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer Limite
Alright, so my old transmission lasted 161,000 miles. At 161,000 miles, it started slipping on acceleration and not upshifting into gears. As I would drive on, it would lose the O/D Gear, then 10 miles later, the 3rd would go, and then it wouldn't drive at all.

NOW..

I just picked up a used transmission with only 60,000 miles on it. The guy at the junkyard took the Explorer w/ the used tranny in it for a ride to see if it shifts properly. It did.

I had it put in by a mechanic, and he worked on it overnight and finished it the next day. Today I picked the car up and paid him. (He did the tranny swap for $520 out the door), and now 100 miles later, the transmission literally dies. It starts by slipping really bad in 1st gear, and then it doesn't shift any higher than 2nd. It's like the 3rd and O/D Gear don't even exist.

What is happening here?? Do you think he even swapped the transmissions?? I'm beyond pissed off right now. and I really need advice. I mean come on...what are the odds that this transmission with 60,000 miles on it would do the EXACT SAME thing as my old one with 161,000 miles on it.

By the way, the mechanic said the cooler lines were flushed, new fluid was added, and he changed the seals. (Said it was $71 worth of extra parts which made the price $521-Started out as $450)

HELP

Back