• Register Today It's free!

transmission fluid change

amritlal

Reaction score
City, State
hayward,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer
I have 2002 explorer and the transmission fluid has never been changed. Will changing it now cause problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 2002 explorer and the transmission fluid has never been changed. Will changing it now cause problems?

How many miles on it? Not sure what your year model specifies, but earlier models say 30K. Check the owner's manual. No such thing as changing the oil too frequently. And beware of cheapie drain-and-fill operations that don't flush the converter.

Hello, I have the exact same question so I did a search on the forum and found this thread. I have bought a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer (4.0L V6) with 172,000 kms. I do not think the previous owner ever did any servicing to the drivetrain. I have heard stories of people getting their transmission serviced only to have it fail shortly after and was curious whether it is better to just leave it alone. It does a hard shift every once in a while, sometimes up and sometimes down, but other than that it seems to operate fine.

Rather than just change the fluid is it better to drop the pan?

What about the other fluid carrying components (differential, transfer case)? Should those be opened and inspected occasionally as well?

thank you.

Fizzer I would drop the pan and replace the filter. Definitely change the transfer case and differential fluid as well. Coolant too. Best wishes.
Doc

my 2002 has no dipstick to check tranny fluid == and no typical pan to drop. I called the dealer a while ago, and he said don't worry about it until about 150k miles. I don't have that many -- I have about 119k, so I still have the factory oil in it.

So I guess it depends on which tranny you have.

Fizzer I would drop the pan and replace the filter. Definitely change the transfer case and differential fluid as well. Coolant too. Best wishes.
Doc

+1

I had this done to my 2005 Explorer XLT 4x4.

Doc

I agree all fluids should be changed in vehicles where there is no service record. Transmission method is controversial between pan drain/filter change and full flush by a pumping machine methods. How about upgrading the transfer case fluid to a synthetic? Any opinion?

Yes, I have done so much research and there is definitely no consensus on the transmission. I think that I have decided not to do the flush due to the risk of getting something pumped into the solenoid valves. However, what I am still not sure about is whether to replace the filter and whatever oil comes from the pan? I have read that the new oil will have detergents which may break free old crud and then cause me problems?

I will have a transmission shop do this so is there any other advantage to dropping the pan that they would be able to check or fix with it off? What I really would like is to figure out what is causing this occasional hard shift and if taking the pan off might help diagnose the problem I would definitely say it was worth the risk. But if there is no chance this hard shifting could be related to anything you could see then maybe I should just leave it alone until for now?

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely get the transfer case and differential fluid replaced and I assume with synthetic, that is what I use for my engine oil.

I did a cooling flush a couple of weeks ago and replaced my water pump and bypass hose at the same time. Now I have a coolant leak at my thermostat housing, although it seems to have sealed itself up and gone away as there has been no more leak for the past week or so. I think I will buy a new housing and thermostat and have it ready. :)

Maybe I should replace the power steering and brake fluid right now as well?

thank you

Maybe I should replace the power steering and brake fluid right now as well?

Not sure if the power steering fluid is a big deal, but brake fluid certainly is. Dot 3&4 absorb moisture and can eventually rust the system. Synthetic DOT 5 is not compatible, and the system has to be fully cleaned of the old fluids. Better to stay with the old fluids as the flush interval is not that often. 5 years?

Transmission fluid isn't supposed to last for the life of the vehicle. It's important to have a clean filter as well as clean fluid. The flushing machines only replace the fluid, and push dirt out of the filter into the transmission.They back flush with the engine off. You have two option. You could remove the pan to replace the fluid & filter or disconnect a transmission line to add fluid while draining fluid with the engine running.

I've never heard of a trans flush that back flushes with the engine off, not sure if its even possible.

Only machines I've ever used or seen are the ones that hook to cooler lines, trans pumps out old fluid as the machine pumps in new fluid as the engine runs.

Back