Transmission fluid Re-fill question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid Re-fill question

SportsTrac2001

Reaction score
City, State
Left Field
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2001 Sports Trac 4x2, I'm having the infamous shifting issue, I plan to replace all 6 solenoids first. Than see what happens..

Manuals calls for 10 quarts of Mercon Tranny Fluid, Can anyone one suggest the proper procedure for refilling.

Do I put all the fluid in first, than start the engine? or put half in than start it up and let it warm up?

Any suggestions would greatly appreciated...

I originally thought the problem was a dirty tranny filter, so I replaced that and when refilling, about qt 7 it started coming/spilling out the top of the Transmission, hopefully that was a overfill valve...(don't want that to happen again)

Thanks
Charlie

SECTION 307-01: Automatic Transmission — 5R55E 2001 Explorer Sport/Sport Trac Workshop Manual
SPECIFICATIONS Procedure revision date: 06/23/2000

Fluid Maintenance

CAUTION: Use only MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-5-QM or equivalent meeting Ford specification MERCON® V. Use of any other fluids can result in a transmission malfunction or failure.

Intervals

Normal Maintenance Not required. Filled for life.
Special Operating Conditions Change the fluid at 48,000 km (30,000 miles) intervals. Use MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-5-QM or equivalent meeting Ford specification MERCON® V.
Sustained high speed driving during hot weather 32°C (90°F)
Towing a trailer for long distances over 1,600 km (1,000 miles)
Accumulating 8,000 km (5,000 miles) or more in one month.
Continuous running service.

NOTE: When filling a dry transmission and converter, start with a minimum of 3.7 liters (4 quarts).

With the engine running and the transmission at normal operating temperature 66-77°C (150-170°F), check and adjust the transmission fluid level and check for any leaks. If fluid is needed, add fluid in increments of 0.24 liter (0.5 pint) until the correct level is achieved (fluid should be in the cross-hatched area of the fluid level indicator).
Apply the park brake and start the engine.
Move the range selector lever through all the gears.
Check the transmission fluid level

Back