Transmission line leaking at radiator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission line leaking at radiator

fropiler

Reaction score
City, State
Cottage Grove, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 2wd 5.0
I just installed a new radiator and noticed a transmission fluid leak on the bottom line where it connects to the radiator. I tried teflon tape first then tried Permatex thread sealer. No difference, still leaks.

I read a thread about an o-ring, but I'm not sure about where specifically that o-ring goes and assumed that it shouldn't be an issue with a brand new radiator. Any ideas how I can fix this leak?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having a similar problem, the radiator for the transmission was leaking, I tightened the house clamp and it stopped, and instead started leaking from the return line. Now I'm scared to tighten that clamp, in case it causes it to leak from somewhere else, but I can't tell if my transmission is also leaking from the pan, or if it's just trickling down the line.

If you're focusing on just the threaded end of the transmission line, you're overlooking the most likely point of leakage...the bushing that threads into the radiator for the tranny line. There is a sealing ring between it and the radiator. Try snugging up the bushing...but, don't go all "Gorilla" on it because, as you know, the radiator is plastic and you'll crack it.

Crazily, it appears the fittings on the radiator are some sort of o-ring assisted inverse flare fitting Actually has an o-ring internally. Way crazy!

Seems to be a 10mm X 2mm, but maybe a -110.

Who knew?

Is there any issue with replacing the fitting in the radiator, in other words, can I just remove and replace it? do I need to drain everything? I'm considering swapping the top and bottom fittings to see if the leak moves with the fitting.

Back